Old Manchester cinemas

Was the Temple still open when the Star Wars films started? Thought it shut years before that. Not doubting you by the way, just surprised.

Further up Cheetham Hill Road, near the Waterloo/Greenhill Rd junction was the Premier and further down, just by Queens Road, was the Essoldo, which then became a bowling alley.

I saw Goldfinger at the Premier and Zulu at the Essoldo.

Yes certainly was, I moved into Crumpsall in late '81and went back down to the temple to watch Porkies and that was 82. Must have closed the year after.

Edit.. Just looked and it closed in December 83 with the last screenings being Krull and......

.........sex in a woman's prison!!!

Haha.

Last edited:
Yes certainly was, I moved into Crumpsall in late '81and went back down to the temple to watch Porkies and that was 82. Must have closed the year after.

Edit.. Just looked and it closed in December 83 with the last screenings being Krull and......

.........sex in a woman's prison!!!

Haha.
Ahh the temple I watched superman
Porkies grease( yeh I no) lemon pop sickle the exorcist jibbed it to death

Ahh the temple I watched superman
Porkies grease( yeh I no) lemon pop sickle the exorcist jibbed it to death
Remember watching Fist of fury and enter the dragon at the temple, does anybody remember the flats at bottom of Smedley lane Kennett House shaped like a boat and nicknamed the queen elizabeth....lived there from 67-75...been knocked down a fair few years now

Did cine city in withington a few times. Also the one where kwik save was in burnage - watched e.t there!

Also regularly went to the tattom in gatley and remember watching walk the line with the ex at the one on the roundabout in flixton - now a dance studio.

Also watched ghostbusters one at the odeon on Oxford road and went to the savoy in Heatin moor / Mersey for my 12th birthday party to watch doctor who!

Happy days

The Scala had gas lighting and used to go from dim to bright depending on gas pressure. It also was the only place to have twin seats. My dear old Ma was sheltering down the side during an air raid, ended up with shrapnel in her knee and taken to Withington
baths which had been converted to an emergency/ first aid centre. The last film I saw there was Robocop, pretty violent for it's time. The Forum in Northenden is now a Mormon (or Jehovah's ) hall. Back in the day when Marge Simpson hair-styles were popular, it became a regular occurence for some nob to put a match to the beehive, though i only saw it in the Forum, likewise it was the only cinema where air bombs were let off, pretty loud inside.......

Hi Guys I left the UK many years ago... does anyone remember the name of the cinema in Urmston? at a big roundabout.. and the cinema in Stretford opposite the civic hall and on the corner of edge lane?

The Gaumont in Chorlton. Now a funeral home, but still contains the old stage and some seating. Just happens to be the first place the BeeGees performed live.

I remember seeing the Bee Gees there at Saturday morning matinees when I was about 5. Didn't know who they were at the time of course, but I do remember talk of them emigrating to Australia. I went to Oswald Rd school as they did, but don't remember them from there.

They called themselves The Rattlesnakes then. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rattlesnakes_(1955_band)

Hi Guys I left the UK many years ago... does anyone remember the name of the cinema in Urmston? at a big roundabout.. and the cinema in Stretford opposite the civic hall and on the corner of edge lane?

I think it was called the Curzon bud, I only remember it as a few lads I used to coach were from round there, apparently, the guy who owned/ran the place, was pretty old school used to stand outside and anyone misbehaving would get a clip around the ear and fucked off out of the queue, my kinda guy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.