Old Manchester motorbike shops from yesteryear....

Ken Fosters in Chorlton.

Still there but just a pushbike shop now. Used to sell motorbikes as well and I bought a Honda 125 there in 1978.

Eddie McGrath's the pushbike shop in Urmston also used to sell motorbikes.

Tuearts right boot said:
I'm there used to be a BSA shop on the main Chester Rd Sale,opposite the DHSS.It was many moons ago though

Reg Browns

Amazing place, as a kid i used to slip in, remember the smell of the place, petrol and engines...

Long since gone now, its an office block

Re-read the OP, got my lines crossed, Reg Browns was opposite the old IBM building down near the Vine pub. The BSA shop was up near Sale Yamaha, which has also gone...

Moreton's in Altrincham shut 4 years ago.

Mr Moreton died and his widow shut the shop very soon after.

Great shop.

Richie said:
Didn't there used to be one on Hyde Road - in between The City Gates pub & the bus depot?

Yes, it was called "Motor cycle depot" they used to be MZ dealers, near the corner of Hyde Road and Devonshire Street.

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
squirtyflower said:
was Queens in Salford a huge place on a corner

wasn't it called Queens *******?

That's right, loads of stock in, used to have a large classified advert in the MEN every Friday night, no frills, no pleasure to serve you sir, but sold by undercutting everyone else...IIRC it was the same outfit as MotoX on Ashton Road Oldham, (but I may be wrong)...

I bought an S reg Z650 from here 30 years ago. £650 - a pound a cc, absolute bargain!
I wish I still had it, it was a great bike!

BlueMo' said:
I remember the one on Queens Rd/Rochdale Rd.
Not the name but walking around it with my Dad.
Mays used to be there and a pram shop....I think!!

Brennans was on Rochdale Rd/Queens Rd next to the Milan pub further up from May's.

M22 WOODHOUSE PARK said:
Horners Vespa and lambretta dealers on Ayres Road Old Trafford
BJ West motorcycles on deansgate
White City motors white city

Got my first bike from a place on Deansgate, can't remember the name but could be this. It was 1978 and a Yamaha 100 ("RS 100" I think). I had literally never sat on a motorbike when I picked it up. They had to show me the controls; clutch lever, gear shift, brakes etc. before I was allowed to ride it away. I lived in Fallowfield at the time, it was pouring down with rain and I must have stalled along Wilmslow Road about 10 times on the way home.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.