Old Match Day Pubs Around Maine Road

We started at Cox's bar opp central station bodies house opened at 10 am the off to the Alex or Clarence birch the fall, didn't see a kickoff for 10 years

Surprised there's no shout for The Ducie Arms, great place to park the car, 2 pre match pints, one after by which time the traffic had gone.

A few years ago I did a walk about looking for the old pubs.
The Welcome, Sherwood, Lord Bryon, Gardeners, Osbourne, Parkside, The Denmark and the Clarence had gone. The Robin Hood went years ago.
Believe the Beehive has now gone too???

That would leave the Albert, Claremont, Ducie Arms and The Old Abbey (which was a Kro bar) and Hardy's Well.
Is the Flying Horse still going opposite Hardy's Well?

No idea on the Fallowfield side as never approached from that direction

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Surprised there's no shout for The Ducie Arms, great place to park the car, 2 pre match pints, one after by which time the traffic had gone.

A few years ago I did a walk about looking for the old pubs.
The Welcome, Sherwood, Lord Bryon, Gardeners, Osbourne, Parkside, The Denmark and the Clarence had gone. The Robin Hood went years ago.
Believe the Beehive has now gone too???

That would leave the Albert, Claremont, Ducie Arms and The Old Abbey (which was a Kro bar) and Hardy's Well.
Is the Flying Horse still going opposite Hardy's Well?

No idea on the Fallowfield side as never approached from that direction
Good laugh in the Albert last nite before settin off to Trafford, few folk couldn't handle the chilli in the con carne haha

Balti said:
Parkside....it's flats now though

probably built on the back of the contributions on the door ;-)

Ridiculous statement!! Those contributions were purely to help handicapped kids!! :-)

I can't say I have been in all the Pubs round the Etihad but along with my mates
i think we have them covered and to that end I would say there are none that
come anywhere near, Clearence, Sherwood, Osborne, Claremont, Partside, Albert.
(everyone has their favourite )
Plastic glasses and overkill by the OB haven't helped but the whole area has no soul.
I know it's probably for a new generation.
It would be nice if there were another three or four Pubs along Grey Mare Lane creating
a Claremont Rd like throughfare.
Perhaps when the New Islington ? Holt Town scheme is finished there might be a few
bars springing up but that's years off.

Whitworth Park said:
I can't say I have been in all the Pubs round the Etihad but along with my mates
i think we have them covered and to that end I would say there are none that
come anywhere near, Clearence, Sherwood, Osborne, Claremont, Partside, Albert.
(everyone has their favourite )
Plastic glasses and overkill by the OB haven't helped but the whole area has no soul.
I know it's probably for a new generation.
It would be nice if there were another three or four Pubs along Grey Mare Lane creating
a Claremont Rd like throughfare.
Perhaps when the New Islington ? Holt Town scheme is finished there might be a few
bars springing up but that's years off.

Agree re the plastic glasses,hate drinking near the ground now,souless as you say.

City's social club right next to the ground, used to get in about 12o'clock on a Saturday leave at five to three, walk round to the Kippax got in just as they kicked off. After the final whistle walk back to the social club for a couple of hours. Brilliant.

It has been done before but it's good to reminisce.

Early days The Clarence. Loved it in there but they started raising prices big time and putting less staff on so moved on to The Osbourne. Whilst it was okay I preferred the relative annonimity of The Gardeners Arms.

Since the move I go with my son now and pre match usually involves a latte and hot chocolate in the Velodrome cafe! Been in Mary D's once and that was once too many.

Oh and I miss my visits to Abduls after The Clarence.

Pigeonho said:
Always the sherwood for some nice, refreshing, warm cans of red stripe. Mmmm!

I loved the Sherwood, I loved the way you stuck to the floor if you stood still for 5 minutes, you had to peel your footwear off the carpet. Also a mention for the Bobby Petta lookalike bird who used to serve, you didn't fuck about with her!

My regular aftermatch pub crawl was The Sherwood, The Lord Lion, The Thirsty Scholar then through town and back to Middleton, great days that are still missed and talked about by me and my mates.

The Beehive from too early to say on here (very often before it was "open")
When we moved to Eastlands we used to stay in the The Birch (i think) then it became Out of the Blue, when it closed we moved to the Townley but still miss getting in the Beehive early enough for a proper pint GLASS and then just pouring the Harp from the plastic shite into the glass ever so often

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.