Oldest poster on Bluemoon - stories from the past

MadchesterCity said:
thanks Blue smarties

Did anyone here go to the cup winners cup Final?

Or remember us winning the league 1967–68

Yes.

Went to every home game of the championship winning season, and many away games, including the most nail biting game ever, Newcastle away in May '68, as a fourteen year old, travelled up from Stalybridge on the train, after saving up my 32/6d paper round money.............;-))

Can remember it as if it was yesterday.....

Who could forget the Ballet on Ice?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3SSuBCAMxI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3SSuBCAMxI</a>

i was 15 in 1956 when we played birmingham in the trautman final my dad could only get one ticket so guess who went it wasnt me i had to stay at home and watch it on a mates telly,but what the heck he taught me to support the best team in manchester,now my two sons daughter-in-law and grandchildren all support them because of him

MadchesterCity said:
thanks Blue smarties

Yep, I was lucky enough to see us win the league at Newcastle in 68. And I have one of the best souvenirs ever as I'm on the picture of Francis Lee stood with his arms in the air in front of the crowd. My Mum, my sister and my Dad's hand also on the pic. The shame is that I was nearly 6 at the time and too young to remember much about the game.

My Dad went to the Cup Winners Cup Final and I couldn't understand at the time why he wouldn't take me with him.

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
MadchesterCity said:
thanks Blue smarties

Yes.

Went to every home game of the championship winning season, and many away games, including the most nail biting game ever, Newcastle away in May '68, as a fourteen year old, travelled up from Stalybridge on the train, after saving up my 32/6d paper round money.............;-))

Can remember it as if it was yesterday.....

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3SSuBCAMxI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3SSuBCAMxI</a>

Thanks mate

ha ha - looking at your original quote - you must be the highlander!! if you watched Billy play ;>

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Meredith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Meredith</a>

What were the team like that year?
Doyle, Lee, Bell, Summerbee

Did you know from the start of the season we would be challenging for the title!

How does it compare to the current euphoria?
what are your views / comparisons to our current squad?
What about the atmosphere around the club?
Did you ever think we would win another title (fingers crossed)

thx<br /><br />-- Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:18 pm --<br /><br />
ColinBellsjockstrap said:

BTW that was beautiful

MadchesterCity said:
Ticket For Schalke said:
dollyblue seen the 55 final.

I came very close to not going to the 1955 Cup Final, City vs Newcastle United due to the Illness of my uncle, just two weeks before the game, but he insisted that I should go, I asked him what about your Ticket? shall I sell it for you? You will not sell it he said!! but give it to someone at the ground, the conditions were, that he or she must be City and about my age, and they must be standing close to the Stadium, that means they would have been there the longest, and when you give them the ticket, look them in the eye and say it's FREE!! Well I did find this young man,I give him the ticket, his eyes filled with tears, so did mine, I asked him where he lived? he said Audenshaw, and my uncle lived in Audenshaw, How Spooky is that? and my Uncle passed away just a couple of weeks after the Final.

Thanks buddy

I love hearing stories from the past

How did it feel getting so close and yet so far in 55?
had you been a City fan for long at this time?
I'm assuming you were a young lad for this match!

Did you make it the following year when we won the cup.
I've heard stories about Roy Paul promising we would return victorious the following year!

sorry to hear about your Uncle!

I love speaking to my Granda about football in the past; it was a very different game then!

The person who is dollyblue, is the guy were flying over, im sure he'd share some of hos stories with you if you came in for a pint when he's over.

holty41 said:
i was 15 in 1956 when we played birmingham in the trautman final my dad could only get one ticket so guess who went it wasnt me i had to stay at home and watch it on a mates telly,but what the heck he taught me to support the best team in manchester,now my two sons daughter-in-law and grandchildren all support them because of him

Wow that must have been an amazing game!
Can you remember the songs the fans sung from the TV coverage?
It just doesn't seem concievable that a player would continue with a broken neck now
I was trying to work out the other day who City greatest keeper ever was!

Do you think it was Trautman, Swift or ...

Glad you have passed on that great tradition to your family!

-- Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:32 pm --

Ticket For Schalke said:
MadchesterCity said:
Thanks buddy

I love hearing stories from the past

How did it feel getting so close and yet so far in 55?
had you been a City fan for long at this time?
I'm assuming you were a young lad for this match!

Did you make it the following year when we won the cup.
I've heard stories about Roy Paul promising we would return victorious the following year!

sorry to hear about your Uncle!

I love speaking to my Granda about football in the past; it was a very different game then!

The person who is dollyblue, is the guy were flying over, im sure he'd share some of hos stories with you if you came in for a pint when he's over.

quality that would be great mate<br /><br />-- Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:37 pm --<br /><br />
robsta said:
MadchesterCity said:
thanks Blue smarties

Yep, I was lucky enough to see us win the league at Newcastle in 68. And I have one of the best souvenirs ever as I'm on the picture of Francis Lee stood with his arms in the air in front of the crowd. My Mum, my sister and my Dad's hand also on the pic. The shame is that I was nearly 6 at the time and too young to remember much about the game.

My Dad went to the Cup Winners Cup Final and I couldn't understand at the time why he wouldn't take me with him.

quality - great to hear City stories!
wow that looks like one of the greatest games of all time!
puts the Burnley conditions into perspective!
I used to love footie in the snow

That's fantastic, my Dad started taking me to the football when I was 3 years old

I guess it's in the blood at an early age

i think trautman was the better keeper only because i saw more of him than big swifty another good keeper was steve fleet city bought him from stockport
another was harry dowd we always seemed to have a glut of good keepers it was the rest of the players we could not get right

holty41 said:
i think trautman was the better keeper only because i saw more of him than big swifty another good keeper was steve fleet city bought him from stockport
another was harry dowd we always seemed to have a glut of good keepers it was the rest of the players we could not get right

are you going to trauttmans book signing this weekend?

cant go to the book signing i live to far away. i would love to but thats life,
i met him once when i lived in moston he came to a boys club i was a member of at the top of factory lane just of rochdale road one game i remember he played in it was against chelsea on alan oakes debut oakes gave away a penalty but the man saved it i think it ended 1-1

MadchesterCity said:
thanks Blue smarties

yep

my dad took me to the cup winners cup final in 70, two nights in vienna for £38! flew with dan air
i counted how many beers he had so i could tell my mum

two years earlier i was taken to newcastle to see us win the championship, all the adults were really excited, i can't say i was too bothered!

saw us win the cup the year after, dad got two tickets of a tout in tibb street, they cost £7 10s, which was quite a bit when you consider the price of entry was only 10s

trouble is when you are a kid you just don't see the importance of it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.