Oleks Zinchenko - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question.

I see it all over, his name being written as Aleks Zinchenko. I understand why, but his name is Oleksandr. Is this acceptable or just lazy/ignorant?
It's acceptable unless you're talking to a Ukrainian Nazi :)

Russian name 'Aleksandr' is pronounced as Olexandr in Ukrainian (which is arguably a dialect of Russian language). It's essentially the same name.

Alexandr is rarely referred to as 'Aleks' in Russian/Ukrainian, 'Sasha' is the right shortened form (signifies familiarity and is usually used in relation to a friend/relative/close acquaintance): https://www.tripsavvy.com/russian-nicknames-and-diminutives-1502309

And 'Oleks' is a non-existent version AFAIK.
IMO Alex is the right version for English speakers.

Last edited:
It's acceptable unless you're talking to a Ukrainian Nazi :)

Russian name 'Aleksandr' is pronounced as Olexandr in Ukrainian (which is arguably a dialect of Russian language). It's essentially the same name.

Alexandr is rarely referred to as 'Aleks' in Russian/Ukrainian, 'Sasha' is the right shortened form (signifies familiarity and is usually used in relation to a friend/relative/close acquaintance): https://www.tripsavvy.com/russian-nicknames-and-diminutives-1502309

And 'Oleks' is a non-existent version AFAIK.
IMO Alex is the right version for English speakers.
Simples.

If Ukrainian is close to Russian, the answer is probably in the change in pronounciation that results from whether the vowel is stressed or not.

So O is only pronounced O when it is stressed, but when unstressed, is pronounced A. In Oleksandr, the stress is on the third syllable. Oleks'ander. So the O is unstressed and becomes an A - so it's pronounced Aleksandr.

But depends on how close the languages are...

If Ukrainian is close to Russian, the answer is probably in the change in pronounciation that results from whether the vowel is stressed or not.

So O is only pronounced O when it is stressed, but when unstressed, is pronounced A. In Oleksandr, the stress is on the third syllable. Oleks'ander. So the O is unstressed and becomes an A - so it's pronounced Aleksandr.

But depends on how close the languages are...
Very similar grammar, different vocabulary. Any native Russian speaker is able to understand about 80% of Ukrainian speech without special training, so Ukrainian is often percieved as a local dialect of Russian language (though linguists would probably disagree, it's a complicated historical - and now even political - matter). Lots of Ukrainians are using Russian as their everyday language - don't know the exact percentage, but I suspect no less than 50%. So the borders between these languages are really vague.

Regarding Zin's name, as you've rightly suggested, the difference is pronunciation (but you are wrong in the stress part, as both 'Oleksandr' and 'Alexandr' have a stress on 3rd syllable). In the end it's the same name derived from widely spread European 'Alexander', so I reckon 'Alex' is the correct shortened reference for English-speaking audience.

Or call him Sasha when you want to show your affection to him (though it can sound a bit too cute and is mostly used by friends/relatives).

Last edited:
Crazy to think that this time last year he looked to be on his way out, and most thought it was probably for the best. He's been consistently good all season, I can see him undergoing the kind of transformation we've seen in Raheem, under Pep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.