One thing we are missing

We don't so much need a thug as a team of consistent referees who aren't afraid of giving out yellow or red cards, regardless of whether its the 1st minute or 1st offence, and even if your surname rhymes with looney.

Unfortunately the real world is as you describe and my Mike Doyle solution would just get us more bookings and dismissals so unfortunately we have to accept that FA has decided that referees are allowed to be biased against City and will be totally protected should any player insinuate otherwise.
Apparently this bias is well known among PL teams otherwise how can the Andy Carrols physical attacks go unpunished, he knows he was on safe ground but appeals for referee recognition are met with a yellow card for Jesus.

Seem to remember a similar misrepresentation of the facts by Putin regarding Russian Troops in the Ukraine where he claimed they were not Russian and probably got their uniforms from the local Army and Navy Stores.

This isn't ice hockey and football has moved on, or maybe I'm wrong and we should bring back sir Joseph of Barton. who would you rather have, Dino or noble? gundogen or Henderson? you won't see many more gattusso's in modern football. more likely to be a non contact sport the way it's going, not that I like it.
Same here I dont like the way it is going, bunch of fannies nowadays if you ask me.

But it isnt just about hard tackling, it's about shouting at and inspiring our own team to pull their weight

Barcelona under Pep didn't have a thug. They just played exquisite passes around any players who substituted 'hardness' for talent.

I know what I'd prefer my team to do.

Barcelona under Pep didn't have a thug. They just played exquisite passes around any players who substituted 'hardness' for talent.

I know what I'd prefer my team to do.

Busquets and Mascherano are no shrinking violets.

Ferguson's greatest achievement was to kid the footballing fraternity into believing that Paul Scholes was just a clumsy, bull in a china shop, who wasn't capable of a malicious challenge.
In fact, towards the end of his career, Scholes was even allowed to lift his index finger, in mock appreciation that he'd just committed his one bad foul that would go unpunished.
The ref would offer a knowing nod, as Martin Tyler helpfully explained the new rule to a bewildered audience.
Meanwhile, in City's next game Shaun Wright Phillips would receive a retrospective red card for violent conduct.

Busquets and Mascherano are no shrinking violets.
Indeed, but they're not thugs in the Keane mould, as the OP wants.

You can be a tough guy without coming across a total wanker. Vinny, Zabba and Ferna more than fulfil this role imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.