Opposition view: Liverpool

Prestwich_Blue said:
leighton said:
I think they are still dreaming about the SKY Top 4 days.
They are. Look at this gem from RAWK:

Stuart Downing is not a bad player. However, he is not a great player. He belongs at a mid table club, not one with ambition.
Erm - he is at a mid-table club.

you gotta laugh at that one!

To be honest I've never minded Liverpool, if only for the single reason that they stopped United from winning anything during the 80s. They have some misguided fans, but reading some of the above, so do we.

City were one of the biggest clubs in the 20s and 30s, but so were Huddersfield and Bolton. Liverpool were poor in the 50s, but recovered in the 60s. That's the way football evolves. Football is cyclical and after 30 years of misery it's our turn.

As for what defines a big club, I would guess that around 30 clubs from Spurs and Newcastle to Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham are all capable of 50,000 crowds if they were successful. Similarly, if City or Liverpool dropped a few divisions, our support would soon diminish. I know we had decent crowds in the late 90s, but for all sorts of reasons, I'm not so sure that would be repeated if it happened again.

Bill Shankly was a genius and so was Joe Mercer. I was genuinely happy for them when they beat AC Milan in Istanbul and I know for a fact that the Liverpool fans at Swansea were going mental when Aguero scored against QPR.

The big danger is that we start acting like United fans. Let's enjoy our success without the nadtiness and aggression that follows the rags. Joe Mercer believed in football with a smile so why shouldn't we?

One of the sad thing about modern football is that a lot of fans (of all clubs) are more interested in making catty remarks about other clubs than they are in discussing football.

Although I suppose it's a marginal improvement from the 1970s and 80s when many away fans were mainly interested in hurling bricks at you or slashing you with knives.

City 1 Chelsea 1 1971 said:
To be honest I've never minded Liverpool, if only for the single reason that they stopped United from winning anything during the 80s. They have some misguided fans, but reading some of the above, so do we.

City were one of the biggest clubs in the 20s and 30s, but so were Huddersfield and Bolton. Liverpool were poor in the 50s, but recovered in the 60s. That's the way football evolves. Football is cyclical and after 30 years of misery it's our turn.

As for what defines a big club, I would guess that around 30 clubs from Spurs and Newcastle to Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham are all capable of 50,000 crowds if they were successful. Similarly, if City or Liverpool dropped a few divisions, our support would soon diminish. I know we had decent crowds in the late 90s, but for all sorts of reasons, I'm not so sure that would be repeated if it happened again.

Bill Shankly was a genius and so was Joe Mercer. I was genuinely happy for them when they beat AC Milan in Istanbul and I know for a fact that the Liverpool fans at Swansea were going mental when Aguero scored against QPR.

The big danger is that we start acting like United fans. Let's enjoy our success without the nadtiness and aggression that follows the rags. Joe Mercer believed in football with a smile so why shouldn't we?

First of all, I doubt that there is any danger of many City fans who have followed this club for an appreciable time "acting like United fans", as you put it. We've been through so much dross and experienced the lows to become like that.

I don't historically mind Liverpool either. They were a great club who won the right way back in the 70s and 80s. Yes Shankly was a genius and a wit, and Bob Paisley continued his great work. Without bragging about it like United do (rather, did!), they just got on with winning, with modesty, "taking every game as it comes" as the cliche goes. Too many times, sadly, they came to Maine Rd and hammered us 4-0 or something like that - I vividly recall a grizzly 0-5 scoreline in 1981/1982, the 0-4 the year after on our way down, but I had to admire Liverpool. Despite the thrashings I still quite liked them and was pleased for them when they won in Europe. I was even pleased for them when they came back to beat AC Milan in 2005.

However, what I really don't like is the sanctimonious, judgmental comments that many of their fans have made about City and their arrogance. Their sense of entitlement which stems from the club downwards is another irritant.

In recent years since they have failed and we have emerged many of their followers and some in their club eg Ian Ross have become jealous and have sniped at us about so-called "Fair Play" etc whilst spending a fortune....on not very good players.

This is not 1982, it's an era when clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal, United and Chelsea are trying to stop City spending by introducing even more artificial new rules which will suit them.

They are not club they used to be and the sense of fair play and humility is increasingly absent from many of their fans also.

So, forgive Blues for harbouring some resentment towards modern-day Liverpool. We have good reason.

Zabbasbeard said:

First of all, I doubt that there is any danger of many City fans who have followed this club for an appreciable time "acting like United fans", as you put it. We've been through so much dross and experienced the lows to become like that.

I don't historically mind Liverpool either. They were a great club who won the right way back in the 70s and 80s. Yes Shankly was a genius and a wit, and Bob Paisley continued his great work. Without bragging about it like United do (rather, did!), they just got on with winning, with modesty, "taking every game as it comes" as the cliche goes. Too many times, sadly, they came to Maine Rd and hammered us 4-0 or something like that - I vividly recall a grizzly 0-5 scoreline in 1981/1982, the 0-4 the year after on our way down, but I had to admire Liverpool. Despite the thrashings I still quite liked them and was pleased for them when they won in Europe. I was even pleased for them when they came back to beat AC Milan in 2005.

However, what I really don't like is the sanctimonious, judgmental comments that many of their fans have made about City and their arrogance. Their sense of entitlement which stems from the club downwards is another irritant.

In recent years since they have failed and we have emerged many of their followers and some in their club eg Ian Ross have become jealous and have sniped at us about so-called "Fair Play" etc whilst spending a fortune....on not very good players.

This is not 1982, it's an era when clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal, United and Chelsea are trying to stop City spending by introducing even more artificial new rules which will suit them.

They are not club they used to be and the sense of fair play and humility is increasingly absent from many of their fans also.

So, forgive Blues for harbouring some resentment towards modern-day Liverpool. We have good reason.

I never had any problem with them in fact I used to quite like them up until recently. They are a vile club. Their "holier than thou" supporters who think they have a god given right to success and the Suarez affair have done it for me.

THIS, as we say here.

cheddar404 said:
Deluded wankers. I hate them almost as much as I hate united and that's a lot.
Agreed cheesy but i also put leeds into that collection of clubs

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.