Opposition view: Liverpool

Marvin said:
An awful lot of complacency here. We've won one title. Liverpool have won 5 European Cups.

This Liverpool may not be the same team, but if we go to Anfield with the same midfield that played against Soton they will eat us for breakfast. If De Jong is sold then Mancini will be fired by Christmas and Liverpool will be laughing at us.

We are vulnerable at the moment and it's all self-inflicted

NDJ was a bit part player last season (we won the league) but if we sell him Mancini will be sacked by xmas. Your unbelievable at times

City 1 Chelsea 1 1971 said:
To be honest I've never minded Liverpool, if only for the single reason that they stopped United from winning anything during the 80s. They have some misguided fans, but reading some of the above, so do we.

City were one of the biggest clubs in the 20s and 30s, but so were Huddersfield and Bolton. Liverpool were poor in the 50s, but recovered in the 60s. That's the way football evolves. Football is cyclical and after 30 years of misery it's our turn.

As for what defines a big club, I would guess that around 30 clubs from Spurs and Newcastle to Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham are all capable of 50,000 crowds if they were successful. Similarly, if City or Liverpool dropped a few divisions, our support would soon diminish. I know we had decent crowds in the late 90s, but for all sorts of reasons, I'm not so sure that would be repeated if it happened again.

Bill Shankly was a genius and so was Joe Mercer. I was genuinely happy for them when they beat AC Milan in Istanbul and I know for a fact that the Liverpool fans at Swansea were going mental when Aguero scored against QPR.

The big danger is that we start acting like United fans. Let's enjoy our success without the nadtiness and aggression that follows the rags. Joe Mercer believed in football with a smile so why shouldn't we?

BPi.gif

Top post.

Kun Aguero said:
City 1 Chelsea 1 1971 said:
To be honest I've never minded Liverpool, if only for the single reason that they stopped United from winning anything during the 80s. They have some misguided fans, but reading some of the above, so do we.

City were one of the biggest clubs in the 20s and 30s, but so were Huddersfield and Bolton. Liverpool were poor in the 50s, but recovered in the 60s. That's the way football evolves. Football is cyclical and after 30 years of misery it's our turn.

As for what defines a big club, I would guess that around 30 clubs from Spurs and Newcastle to Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham are all capable of 50,000 crowds if they were successful. Similarly, if City or Liverpool dropped a few divisions, our support would soon diminish. I know we had decent crowds in the late 90s, but for all sorts of reasons, I'm not so sure that would be repeated if it happened again.

Bill Shankly was a genius and so was Joe Mercer. I was genuinely happy for them when they beat AC Milan in Istanbul and I know for a fact that the Liverpool fans at Swansea were going mental when Aguero scored against QPR.

The big danger is that we start acting like United fans. Let's enjoy our success without the nadtiness and aggression that follows the rags. Joe Mercer believed in football with a smile so why shouldn't we?
Doubt the support of either would diminish significantly. What sortof reasons?
BPi.gif

Top post.

Vienna_70 said:
Marvin said:
An awful lot of complacency here. We've won one title. Liverpool have won 5 European Cups.

This Liverpool may not be the same team, but if we go to Anfield with the same midfield that played against Soton they will eat us for breakfast. If De Jong is sold then Mancini will be fired by Christmas and Liverpool will be laughing at us.

We've won three league titles.

True, if Marvin can include 4 European Cup's from more than 25 years ago in his assessment of Liverpool then our 2 other league titles are also just as relevant (or irrelevant to be more accurate).

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Marvin said:

NDJ was a bit part player last season (we won the league) but if we sell him Mancini will be sacked by xmas. Your unbelievable at times
It would appear his impulse to be negative overrides any sense of perspective.

A curous way for a football fan to behave at this stage of the season, especially a supporter of the Champions.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Marvin said:

A curous way for a football fan to behave at this stage of the season, especially a supporter of the Champions.

Its okay Mancini said NDJ is staying so we can rule out relegation now

BoyBlue_1985 said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:

Its okay Mancini said NDJ is staying so we can rule out relegation now

Roberto must be relieved that he won't be getting sacked by Christmas too.

One thing that I spotted was the use of the '30 years' timescale, which conveniently covers their conquering era.

In 10 years time, if you ask him again, he will quote 40 years, for the exact same reason.

Salford_Blue said:
One thing that I spotted was the use of the '30 years' timescale, which conveniently covers their conquering era.

In 10 years time, if you ask him again, he will quote 40 years, for the exact same reason.
In fairness to him 40 years would cover it better right now.

What is more notable is the fact that he didn't use the last 20 years as a reference point. As much as people may decry the Premier League it does seem to have become some form of currency when comparing clubs' records. The fact that Liverpool have conspicuously failed to win the title since its inception perhaps explains why he chooses to use another timeframe for measuring success.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.