Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's buy another player just for the sake of it, I say give Mangala and Denayer a chance
We should give Kompany and Mangala a chance seeing as they're likely to be the main pairing.
The fact they were part of a 3-0 opening day win should be built on, not tinkered with.

The tea lady was asked if we were signing Pogba .....

Tea-Leaves-In-Cup.gif

We haven't lost a centre back from last season. Denayer has replaced Boyata. I don't recall us having a crisis last season in that position. Why do we feel the need for an addition in that area?

I know Demi is a year older but he should be good for another year.

We haven't lost a centre back from last season. Denayer has replaced Boyata. I don't recall us having a crisis last season in that position. Why do we feel the need for an addition in that area?

I know Demi is a year older but he should be good for another year.

Seeing as reliable ITKs have said this has substance I'm going to assume it's on.

So reasoning could be :

Demi is showing his age, hasn't had a preseason rest and some people have suggested he might fancy a move back home to River Plate. The club may be being proactive in replacing him.

Vinny's injuries mean he will miss at least 1/4 of the season - as he has done for the last 3 years. He's also been out of form so another top quality CB might mean we don't drop when he's injured.

Mangala hasn't got their confidence?

The best European clubs have at least 3 starting quality CBs. Real have Pepe-Varane-Ramos; Bayern have 5.

Or simply he's a very good CB who could make us better?

Any of those would be a feasible reason for buying him.

Because he improves the team and squad. Just as we were after Sterling, Pogba and KDB despite having other players for those positions.

it may not have been a crisis but I would say our defence was a weak point last season, more so than our attacking play, yet we have primarily been after creative players. We know MD only has a year left and there have been rumours of him perhaps wanting to leave before then and head back to Argentina/America, so if a top quality CB becomes available before then, it certainly makes sense to me to bring one in.

Because he improves the team and squad. Just as we were after Sterling, Pogba and KDB despite having other players for those positions.

it may not have been a crisis but I would say our defence was a weak point last season, more so than our attacking play, yet we have primarily been after creative players. We know MD only has a year left and there have been rumours of him perhaps wanting to leave before then and head back to Argentina/America, so if a top quality CB becomes available before then, it certainly makes sense to me to bring one in.

I'd agree the defence was arguably a weak point last season but I'd also argue that it was the full back positions that were the issue rather than the centre halves. I think rat face did a piece on goals we were shipping and they all came down the flanks.

The club can't think Vincent will have another sub standard season, and surely spending around £35m on Mangala means they need to have some faith in him. I just think at the minute we have the right mix. The captain at the peak of his career, the big buy of whom big things are expected, the veteran who is still performing and the youngster who is trying to dislodge one of the others.

If we are buying him he does so at the expense of Mangala I think and therefore he becomes surplus to requirements. Which if that's what's been decided fair enough. Do any other teams have 5 first team centre halves? I think Chelsea have 3, arsenal 3, rags have a number of players who can play there like blind and Rojo but true centre halves they have 4 I think.

I think it would be MD moving on (or possibly into midfield) and we would be left with Kompany, Mangala, Otamendi and Denayer which seems like a good balance to me.

If we are in for him, it would suggest that our management team feel that there is either a problem with the balance of the 4 we currently have, or that they are planning ahead for when MD leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.