Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Champions League is the main thinking for this signing. The club is clearly desperate to have success in this competition as soon as possible and we have seen Pellegrini does not yet trust Mangala's abilities (Picking Demichelis ahead of him vs Barccelona confirmed that).

Otamendi was in the team of the season in La Liga last season and has played against Barcelona and Real Madrid on numerous occasions so it is a sensible signing imo. Neither Mangala or Denayer are ready to take on the Champions League yet and we can't rely on a 34 year old Demichelis for another season.

Factor in Kompany's inevitable niggling injuries and it becomes a no brainer signing especially if Valencia haven't yet paid us for Negredo.

I think Champions League is the main thinking for this signing. The club is clearly desperate to have success in this competition as soon as possible and we have seen Pellegrini does not yet trust Mangala's abilities (Picking Demichelis ahead of him vs Barccelona confirmed that).

Otamendi was in the team of the season in La Liga last season and has played against Barcelona and Real Madrid on numerous occasions so it is a sensible signing imo. Neither Mangala or Denayer are ready to take on the Champions League yet and we can't rely on a 34 year old Demichelis for another season.

Factor in Kompany's inevitable niggling injuries and it becomes a no brainer signing especially if Valencia haven't yet paid us for Negredo.

Yeah decent point.

Im hopeful that with a season under his belt, we will see a much better Mangler this season. Otamendi for me is the nod for Martin to think about retirement

How do you know that?

Demichelis has probably been our best defender the past two seasons, Denayer is a full international and one of the most promising players in the world and finally the Mangala/Kompany partnership actually started to look the part last week. Then what do we do sign yet another 30 million unproven centre back at this level? dont see it happening

This would just be a bizarre signing tbh not that I believe it will happen anyway.

Also I do think people underate our defence, even with pellegrinis constant rotation of the backline last season Joe Hart still managed to scoop the golden glove.

How do you know that?

Demichelis has probably been our best defender the past two seasons, Denayer is a full international and one of the most promising players in the world and finally the Mangala/Kompany partnership actually started to look the part last week. Then what do we do sign yet another 30 million unproven centre back at this level? dont see it happening

This would just be a bizarre signing tbh not that I believe it will happen anyway.

Also I do think people underate our defence, even with pellegrinis constant rotation of the backline last season Joe Hart still managed to scoop the golden glove.

Our defence looked shaky last week against a side that showed no attacking threat whatsoever, and no way is Denayer one of the most promising players in the world. He is one of the most promising players at City. Our defence last season was not good, I think the lack of protection from midfield didn't help but the 30m+ spent on Mangala was if we take off our blinkers a disaster

How do you know that?

It would be hope more than anything with Mangala. He looked ok last week but there was no real threat by West Brom. I don't doubt he will improve eventually but it would be seen as a risk to just expect him to suddenly read the game a lot better in the next few months. I don't dislike Mangala btw but at this level you don't get as much time to prove yourself.

Denayer is a great prospect but is only 20 and again represents a risk for a team wanting CL success to potentially have to rely on him to get us through.

Demichelis is still a great player and our best defender last season but now at 34, I'd rather see Otamendi in the lineup against Lionel Messi.

Note: I'm just talking about the Champions League here. If we weren't in that competition or didn't care about it our current Cb's would be fine but we need that extra quality to get to the latter stages of the competition that our owners hold in the highest regard.

Add @Stephenhakin to that as well

imrs.php

He said yessssss

He's played in both european competitions with Porto and Valencia, won numerous caps with Argentina, included in the La Liga team of the season, Copa America team of the tournament etc. Seems a good enough pedigree.

Mangala and Kompany looked ok last weekend but were up against a pretty toothless West Brom. Promising but on more than a few occasions last year they didn't look suited as a partnership. MD is very experienced but has probably 1 season at best left with us and Denayer who again looks very promising but untested at this level.

Personally I think he'd be an excellent signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.