Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way i'd be remotely happy with this deal is if Denayer goes back out on loan for a season, VM and EM continue to be used as our 1st choice pairing and Otamendi is there to step in if one gets injured, banned or loses form. MDM can carry on as 4th choice CB and slotting in CM when shoring up games.

The guy is 27 or their abouts, how come he's only came to the attention of Europe's elite now? I'd stick with Mangala, he's looking most improved
and give the young Belgium lad a chance.

Because there is no rule on how or when players can improve. Otamendi is just entering the peak years for a defender.

The guy is 27 or their abouts, how come he's only came to the attention of Europe's elite now? I'd stick with Mangala, he's looking most improved
and give the young Belgium lad a chance.
Comments like this really perplex me. Carvalho didn't sign for Chelsea til he was 26, Vidic was still playing in Russia at 25. Sometimes that's just how it goes

The only way i'd be remotely happy with this deal is if Denayer goes back out on loan for a season, VM and EM continue to be used as our 1st choice pairing and Otamendi is there to step in if one gets injured, banned or loses form. MDM can carry on as 4th choice CB and slotting in CM when shoring up games.
I highly doubt that Otamendi would be a back up.

I'm surprised so many of you think rate him as highly as you do.

Are you not worried this is €40 million spunked out on a defender who has only had one good season of football?

When we were linked with him I instantly said he's not worth the money, nor is he all that good. Argentine international of course, but he looks no better than Rojo.

Biggest question - what about Denayer?
Twabs by any chance?
The most hilarious post I've read on here for a long long time and I've read some fuckin tripe In my time.
Fuck me the stench of bitterness.

Really want to think this is a good deal but it just feels like £35m that would be much better spent elsewhere.

Can anyone try to persuade me otherwise?

Hopefully.

Firstly the price is £28m rather than £35m.

Secondly, and here's the big plus point, the deal isn't really us paying out any money. Instead it is us cancelling payments for Negredo meaning that he's only costing us £3m. We will presumably book it as Negredo + £3m for him.

MDM is a great guy who used to have a magnificient ponytail but he is 35 and we cannot be slaves to sentiment. If he's willing to stay around the squad as an understood/5th choice then great but Otamendi is superior in every way to how our side plays football. Denayer cannot be allowed to leave on loan as he'll walk. Kompany and Mangala are world class as shown again yesterday after rocky form last year. Having one more defender with serious quality in the squad will not only force Kompany and Mangala to keep their form up but also help the quality of our "second team" which needs it.

He's also got friends at City already. He has played with Aguero, Zabaleta and Demichelis for the national team regularly over the past 10 years and played with both Fernando and Mangala at Porto so worries about him not fitting in well shouldn't be an issue.

I want Mangala to stay he has 2 great performances I don't see why we shud break up a good defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.