Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell me a title challenging side in Europe with a 20 year old centre half with one season of near amature football under his belt as their third choice?

Name me a 20 year old centre back playing regularly anywhere. Denayer is ahead of Jon Stones at the same age.

It's incredibly rare for centre backs to anywhere near a first team of our level at just turned 20.

To think a defender who turned 20 just 6 weeks ago is ready to play at level is simply wrong. History would back that up.

It doesn't matter how old your are if you are good enough.

It has always been our policy to have 2 players for each position, which obviously equates to 4 centre halves. With Otamendi we'd have 5, however 1 of those is Demichelis, who is heading towards 35 years of age, and has actually been utilised as a substitute defensive midfielder in his 2 games this season. Denayer will get his chances, whether that be this season as 4th choice centre half (a role he may have to share for the time being with Demichelis) or next season as the out-and-out 4th choice (once Demicheslis moves on). If he wants more regular football straight away then there's the loan option, with the understanding he'll be back for next season with the first team. As I said, he's 20, and he's never played any first team football outside of Scotland (save for a couple of International appearances), maybe him, and his agent, are being a little unrealistic regarding his first team opportunities at such a young age, for one of Europe's top sides. I doubt City intended on signing Otamendi earlier in the window, however when the opportunity arrived to add someone of that calibre, and the financials worked out so well given the Negredo issues, did they really expect us to walk away from it because "we told Jason we wouldn't buy a decent centre half"? This is a business, he needs to realise circumstances change.

It's funny that everyone is wanking themselves silly over DeBruyne for 50 mil, still people lament us not signing Hazard, our captain is Belgium's cb, Spurs have two of their cbs, & the best player on their team by a fucking street, in two of their last 3 internationals, is being talked about like he is fuck all & can't even be trusted to fill in any position at City.

Joke.

I think MD will end up at NYCFC this window he as always said he would like to Finnish his career in the usa. he said so in that documentary of him not long after he joined city.

A classic from the caf. PMSL.

I find it hilarious just how utterly delusional they are now

I've been a blue for 40 years, a ST holder for 25. There's no question, when we were uncompetitive, we clutched at straws, like boasting about the height of our floodlights.

Conversely, it's united clutching at straws now. It started with 'the owner will get bored and walk away' - the building of the new complex seems to have made the penny finally drop for most reds now. Then it was 'you're buying the title' but after what they have spent under LVG, you rarely hear them using that one anymore. They still use the 'emptihad' despite the fact that most league games sell out and the only reason they get so many to the cups is it's compulsory for many ST holders there to buy cup tickets. Plus of course they've lost 10k ST holders a year for several years now and the waiting list has shrunk to almost nothing, compared to our growing waiting list

So now, they are suggesting that given equality everywhere else, a player would always choose them over us. Based on 'history'. They simply don't get it - apart from the fact players are more interested in making history than past history, if you were a player in Europe, with no particular affinity to either Manchester club, even if you call Utd 'Manchester' (I'm not remotely embarrassed about that but it seems rags get a huge rise out of that), why on earth would you choose them over us ?!? We are seen internationally as the club in the ascendancy, with 2 PL wins out of the last 4 years, a really harmonious dressing room, far more attractive football, far better facilities - on what basis is Utd more attractive ?

What's really amusing is the match thread on 'caf' when we beat Chelski. I was pleasantly staggered by the sheer number of their fans saying we play much more attractive football that they only dream of their own club playing, that we play football 'the right way', that they dream of having aguero & silva over any of their own players ......... if utd fans see that, why don't they get it's also what the overseas players see and it's what many of them want to be a part of ?

The message it sends is we are a world class club that will not settle for second best.

If you're good enough you will get the chance, simple and to help you we have invested over £200M in the best academy in football.

Too many on here think they should be given an easy ride into the first team.

So unless every 20 year old is world class, which barely any players ever have been they won't get a chance ?? May aswell close the academy now then. It take time for young players to get world class and if we had say sterling at a young age he would have never played if your opinion was right

This is the sort of deal that seems born out of opportunity rather than necessity. The club obviously had doubts about mangala with the intention of loaning him out. The start he has made to the season makes this signing unnecessary given we have four very good centre backs....
But we went ahead anyway....
As you elegantly say a signing 'born out of opportunity and not necessity' but it will provide a lot of competition in those positions as well as cover.

Tell me a title challenging side in Europe with a 20 year old centre half with one season of near amature football under his belt as their third choice?

Name me a 20 year old centre back playing regularly anywhere. Denayer is ahead of Jon Stones at the same age.

It's incredibly rare for centre backs to anywhere near a first team of our level at just turned 20.

To think a defender who turned 20 just 6 weeks ago is ready to play at level is simply wrong. History would back that up.
No it isn't.

It's just City & Chelsea who won't give kids a chance. Everybody else does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.