Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they will all get a chance. MDM will be the one to be phased out. Our owners know what they are doing whereas your glass is always half empty

It really isn't mate. I'm just disspointed for Denayer.

MDM should be the one phased out, but by all accounts it seems Denayer's going to get another loan, as he probably should do in fact with Otamendi to compete with for that backup spot. A year as 4th choice, with a similar amount of minutes that Boyata got last season, would not be good for his development.

It's not about being negative, it's about recognising every facet of a transfer, the ripple effect it will cause on the squad.

Otamendi has come pretty much out of left field. Seems to have been such for Denayer and his agent as well.

I doubt the club would make any promises to anyone regarding play time, but going in to a season with a 35 year old and a 20 year old as third and fourth choice would be suicide.
Or you could say 35 year old demichelis has been our most consistant centre back the past two seasons and twenty year old denayer is one of the most promising young players in the league. hardly suicide

I don't think we should be going overboard on Mangala just yet, either. I seem to remember he had a stormer early on against Chelsea last season, too. Within a few weeks people were saying we'd wasted our money. IF he continues like this, then we are very well covered in that position now. If he goes all kamikaze on us again, then we will be very glad of this signing. MD is aging and Denayer is unproven, and will need to be introduced slowly and surely. Signing had to be made, imo.

Otamendi for Demichelis is not a like for like replacement from a squad set-up point of view. Demichelis is an old pro who doesn’t expect to play every week and wouldn’t kick up a fuss if he’s on the bench or in the stands. Otamendi will be a £30m signing who expects to play the majority of games, especially big games.

If you assume we’ll have 60 games in the season, our current squad might share them 40, 40, 20, 20 for Kompany, Mangala, Demichelis and Denayer. If Otamendi replaces Demichelis, the only way I can see us keeping our captain and two £30m signings happy is if they each get 40 games. One of them (Mangala?) will probably still be a bit pissed off as he’ll likely be left out of all the big games. This means zero game time for Denayer.

The only option for us really is to send him out on loan for at least a couple of years until Kompany possibly starts to decline. However, it has been widely assumed, based mainly on his agent’s comments (which admittedly may need to be taken with a pinch of salt), that he signed his new deal based on guarantees of first team football, so I can’t imagine he’ll be best pleased right now, and if I was him, I’d be looking for a permanent move.

Yes I definitely agree that balancing Otamendi, Mangala and Kompany will be tricky if we're to keep them all happy. And when you look at it like that, it probably does make it a little bit harder for Denayer whether he's ahead of Demichelis or not.

I could understand Denayer's frustration if Demichellis still had a few more seasons left in him. However, it's looking extremely likely that Demi will leave next season.

There is even the possibility that he could leave in January if Denayer proves himself. That leaves us with an extra space for a non-homegrown player.

Denayer is a big part of our future. He just needs to be patient.

I find it hilarious just how utterly delusional they are now

I've been a blue for 40 years, a ST holder for 25. There's no question, when we were uncompetitive, we clutched at straws, like boasting about the height of our floodlights.

Conversely, it's united clutching at straws now. It started with 'the owner will get bored and walk away' - the building of the new complex seems to have made the penny finally drop for most reds now. Then it was 'you're buying the title' but after what they have spent under LVG, you rarely hear them using that one anymore. They still use the 'emptihad' despite the fact that most league games sell out and the only reason they get so many to the cups is it's compulsory for many ST holders there to buy cup tickets. Plus of course they've lost 10k ST holders a year for several years now and the waiting list has shrunk to almost nothing, compared to our growing waiting list

So now, they are suggesting that given equality everywhere else, a player would always choose them over us. Based on 'history'. They simply don't get it - apart from the fact players are more interested in making history than past history, if you were a player in Europe, with no particular affinity to either Manchester club, even if you call Utd 'Manchester' (I'm not remotely embarrassed about that but it seems rags get a huge rise out of that), why on earth would you choose them over us ?!? We are seen internationally as the club in the ascendancy, with 2 PL wins out of the last 4 years, a really harmonious dressing room, far more attractive football, far better facilities - on what basis is Utd more attractive ?

What's really amusing is the match thread on 'caf' when we beat Chelski. I was pleasantly staggered by the sheer number of their fans saying we play much more attractive football that they only dream of their own club playing, that we play football 'the right way', that they dream of having aguero & silva over any of their own players ......... if utd fans see that, why don't they get it's also what the overseas players see and it's what many of them want to be a part of ?

Excellent post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.