Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, but if you're expecting the team to be working on set piece defending in preseason, you might want to give your head a wobble. Set piece defending is about everyone knowing their job and doing it, preseason involves throwing random collections of players together and hoping they sort it out. You can't practice set piece defending until you have everyone back in training and then you won't see it until the correct people are on the pitch. I'm not saying we'll have sorted it, but I'm saying it;s ridiculous to think we'd see any signs of it a week into preseason with a random collection of players on the pitch.

We played 3 centre backs today FFS! Some of them hadn't played before this season.

Some people expect the defence to be like the Berlin Wall the day the players return from holiday.

C&P
With all due respect to Patrick Roberts and Fabian Delph, both of whom are better signings than many have suggested, Manchester City's only huge signing of the summer so far has been Raheem Sterling form Liverpool. That saga will have drained everyone involved to some degree and a few days rest was probably needed before jumping head first into the next.

Last week the Belgian press reckoned that, once Sterling was sorted out, the next man would be Wolfsburg's Kevin De Bruyne with Txiki Begiristain personally taking it upon himself to get a deal done. That being his job and all.

However, in Spain's there's disagreement. Valencia regional newspaper Super Deporte claim on Tuesday that Manchester City look set to beat their local rivals Manchester United to the signing of Nicolas Otamendi. Talks were held between Manchester City officials, Otamendi's agent Eugenio Lopez and general super-agent Jorge Mendes at the weekend in Porto. That meeting was followed up with more talks yesterday, which have left Manchester City firmly in pole for the player say the newspaper.

It was Super Deporte who brought Manchester City into the euqtion for Otamendi, saying the club were set to sell Eliaquim Mangala after just one season. That always seemed unlikely to us and it's still not crystal clear if Super Deporte are using Manchester City to pressure Manchester United on behalf of Valencia, although perhaps that's looking into things too deeply.

C&P
With all due respect to Patrick Roberts and Fabian Delph, both of whom are better signings than many have suggested, Manchester City's only huge signing of the summer so far has been Raheem Sterling form Liverpool. That saga will have drained everyone involved to some degree and a few days rest was probably needed before jumping head first into the next.

Last week the Belgian press reckoned that, once Sterling was sorted out, the next man would be Wolfsburg's Kevin De Bruyne with Txiki Begiristain personally taking it upon himself to get a deal done. That being his job and all.

However, in Spain's there's disagreement. Valencia regional newspaper Super Deporte claim on Tuesday that Manchester City look set to beat their local rivals Manchester United to the signing of Nicolas Otamendi. Talks were held between Manchester City officials, Otamendi's agent Eugenio Lopez and general super-agent Jorge Mendes at the weekend in Porto. That meeting was followed up with more talks yesterday, which have left Manchester City firmly in pole for the player say the newspaper.

It was Super Deporte who brought Manchester City into the euqtion for Otamendi, saying the club were set to sell Eliaquim Mangala after just one season. That always seemed unlikely to us and it's still not crystal clear if Super Deporte are using Manchester City to pressure Manchester United on behalf of Valencia, although perhaps that's looking into things too deeply.
Mendes has form on this, seemed to use us to get the Rags to over pay for Falcao, one of the reasons we walked away

Not necessary, would rather wait 12 months and replace Demi with someone younger and promising (like Laporte who Tolmie said we were looking at ages ago)

I agree with what many have said on here....CB isn't a big need and the position looks solid heading into the season! With Denayer stepping up into the 1st team, I think we look stronger at this position than last year. If we do sign Otamendi, I think its just a case of a player we rate highly, becoming available and we feel its an opportunity to further improve the team, that we didn't want to miss....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.