Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't recall him playing for City against Messi.

What on earth on you on about lol.

Be it city, valencia, or accrington, it doesn't change the fact he has handled the very best player alive with his so called "desperate tackling".

Mangala and kompany have a similar lunging way about them, and i highly doubt either would handle messi the way otamendi has.

Also valencia dont have a squad of the overall caliber of city last time i checked.

What on earth on you on about lol.

Be it city, valencia, or accrington, it doesn't change the fact he has handled the very best player alive with his so called "desperate tackling".

Mangala and kompany have a similar way, and i haven't seen either handle messi as well as otamendi has.

He's been tested against the best.

He's never been tested in City's defence, in the Premier League.

And if he was as good as you say, he wouldn't still be available. Chelsea would already have signed him.

He's never been tested in City's defence, in the Premier League.

And if he was as good as you say, he wouldn't still be available. Chelsea would already have signed him.

Assumptions galore here.

Of course he isn't tested, neither was mangala, neither is anyone who hasn't yet played in the premier league. Does that mean premier league clubs should never go for foreign talent?

But as i said previously he's performed well against the best(better than anything in the PL), with a style you are quick to almost write off.

As for why chelsea are not in for him who knows...why are they not in for every class player who has made a move this season? Perhaps because they already have a good defense, and stones is a simply another young homegrown option? They are in a position where they are not in desperate need of established quality, they can sign stones and let him develop whilst squeezing every last game out of terry. That is not really the case at city.

Assumptions galore here.

Of course he isn't tested, neither was mangala, neither is anyone who hasn't yet played in the premier league. Does that mean premier league clubs should never go for foreign talent?

But as i said previously he's performed well against the best(better than anything in the PL), with a style you are quick to almost write off.

As for why chelsea are not in for him who knows...why are they not in for every class player who has made a move this season? Perhaps because they already have a good defense, and stones is a simply another young homegrown option? They are in a position where they are not in desperate need of established quality, they can sign stones and let him develop whilst squeezing every last game out of terry. That is not really the case at city.

And Utd, Real Madrid, City, Arsenal, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, basically anybody ?

I haven't written anyone off.

I'm just making the point that people talking as if signing this bloke is a guaranteed improvement, have absolutely no idea whether they are correct or not & that, quite obviously, a lot of people don't agree with their assessment, or he would have been signed already by a top club.

If he was as good as people are suggesting, he would be gone already, not being hawked around Europe by his agent looking for a buyer.

That backs up my opinion of him as a 'possible' rather than a 'probable' alternative. Demichelis was a bizarre but successful signing, so I'm not writing off Otamendi, butiImo, Demi is a better cb for Argentina. Better than either of the others tbh. It's his age which is working against him. But Otamendi might work, or be total shit.

But as for the original comment of 'settling' the defence. Not a chance. Diego Godin might 'settle' the defence, but not this bloke.

And Utd, Real Madrid, City, Arsenal, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, basically anybody ?

I haven't written anyone off.

I'm just making the point that people talking as if signing this bloke is a guaranteed improvement, have absolutely no idea whether they are correct or not & that, quite obviously, a lot of people don't agree with their assessment, or he would have been signed already by a top club.

If he was as good as people are suggesting, he would be gone already, not being hawked around Europe by his agent looking for a buyer.

That backs up my opinion of him as a 'possible' rather than a 'probable' alternative. Demichelis was a bizarre but successful signing, so I'm not writing off Otamendi, butiImo, Demi is a better cb for Argentina. Better than either of the others tbh. It's his age which is working against him. But Otamendi might work, or be total shit.

But as for the original comment of 'settling' the defence. Not a chance. Diego Godin might 'settle' the defence, but not this bloke.

I don't disagree for the most part, but maintain he would settle the defense because he'd most certainly be an improvement on kompany and mangala atm.

Nobody knows for certain how a signing will go of course, yet you read all the time on here how "city have had a great window" yet the season hasn't even started yet. You have to work on some level of assumption, and as this guy has been decent, and the city defense hasn't...you have to say he'd improve things, or at least would be very likely to.

We are basically bordering arguing symantics here, but i get what you are saying. :)

Last edited:
I don't disagree for the most part, but maintain he would settle the defense because he'd most certainly be an improvement on kompany and mangala atm.

Nobody knows for certain how a signing will go of course, yet you read all the time on here how "city have had a great window" yet the season hasn't even started yet. You have to work on some level of assumption, and as this guy has been decent, and the city defense hasn't...you have to say he'd improve things, or at least would be very likely to.

We are basically arguing symantics here though :)

I can't make the assumption that Otamendi is better than our central defenders no. I don't think any of them would struggle in Spain. I don't think this 4 would have any problem playing in Mancini's team in the Premier League either tbh. I'm not sure they wouldn't take over from Atletico's defenders, in their system, & be better than they are.

The way City play, is very difficult. Signing a player with no pace who likes to jump in, could easily cost us everything imo, & I'd rather stick with what we have.

I can't make the assumption that Otamendi is better than our central defenders no. I don't think any of them would struggle in Spain. I don't think this 4 would have any problem playing in Mancini's team in the Premier League either tbh. I'm not sure they wouldn't take over from Atletico's defenders, in their system, & be better than they are.

The way City play, is very difficult. Signing a player with no pace who likes to jump in, could easily cost us everything imo, & I'd rather stick with what we have.

Isn't that rather a negative viewpoint though mate? We'll see...but if it is entirely down to the way city play(which personally i'm not completely sold on), then surely at this level, and with the pedigree of management and staff, it would be well on its way to being rectified by now...yet look at the last game against stuttgart!?

Its certainly a concern still.

Isn't that rather a negative viewpoint though mate? We'll see...but if it is entirely down to the way city play(which personally i'm not completely sold on), then surely at this level, and with the pedigree of management and staff, it would be well on its way to being rectified by now...yet look at the last game against stuttgart!?

Its certainly a concern still.

It's a concern that the defence was a fucking mess pre season. The biggest mess was Kompany. If he was Argentinian, he would be the first name on their teamsheet for the back four, probably playing next to Demichelis, & Zabaleta.

That's the problem we have to sort out. Getting the captain, & Zaba for that matter, back to what they were. Do that & we will have a perfectly good back 4. Fail, & we have a problem, possibly a worse one if we sign a new cb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.