Other Fans City Fans Get On With

That was many years ago.

When City beat Everton 1-3 they were shaking our hands, congratulating us outsude the ground, and coming on the coaches to thank us.

I’ve never seen any trouble at Everton for many years.
There was a lot of trouble at that league cup semi final game outside. Also in a league match a while ago.

We have a similar sort of fan base, but I wouldn’t say we get on with them - it’s probably the mutual hatred of Liverpool that connects us

I know it's not the fans but can't quite except them being associated with the 9 so definitely not Newcastle!
Their fans since their takeover having been chatting shit with the rest of the haters.
‘Doing things the right way’
‘Not cheating’
‘115’
Bollocks!

Just West Ham for me - goes back with me before to the relegation at their place, but that reinforced it - even went in the away end at the swamp with them ( back in the day when you could pay on an away gate )when Goeff Pike scored a header - circa 85/86 if i recall

city fans will get on with any fans who are sane, rational and know football so apart from the dippers, rags, spurs and tarquins we get on with most
That's a long winded way to say we don't get on with twats.

Their fans since their takeover having been chatting shit with the rest of the haters.
‘Doing things the right way’
‘Not cheating’
‘115’
Bollocks!
Exactly, in my own bubble the geordies kept being hateful to City and dismissing our success and our support even after their takeover. They prefer to play it safe in the haters bandwagon, which is quite hypocritical of them, to think they can have both the dick in the ass and the soul in heaven.

Sunderland goes back to the 1991 relegation match. 15,000 travelling Mackems at Maine Road. A 3-2 win for City sent them down, but similar to City’s relegation at Upton Park in 1987, there was mutual appreciation between the fans. As well as the Poznan which we all appreciated in 2012, they were hands down the soundest fans we have encountered at Wembley for the League Cup Final in 2014.
I travelled to the 1991 game with a pile of Mackems and I drank in a Mackem pub at Roker many times. Sound boys.

Sunderland for me. Back in the day I used to hate Sunderland. That probably stemmed from a visit there to a match on New Year’s Eve in 1966. It was a Saturday match and the pubs still shut at 10:30. Some of our pals had headed south after the match and stopped at Pontefract where they had licenses until 12:30 and had a great time.

Meanwhile we trudged out of the pub at 10:40 and were attacked outside. We had to do a runner and got away and drove back home.

It all changed in 2014. City had reached the League Cup final with a 9-0 aggregate win over West Ham. In the other semi-final United were facing Sunderland. Sunderland won the first leg 2-1 and it went to Old Trafford for the return.

As it happened I was in Newcastle with my son for Mogwai concert on the same day as the second leg.

We came out for a drink after the gig and found the United-Sunderland match was on TV and still not finished. It had gone to extra time and was still 3-3 on aggregate with the goal from Sunderland in extra time ensuring that the away-goals rule would not apply.

As you might imagine, in central Newcastle, Sunderland were not the most popular team! When it came to the penalty shoot-out, it was so comical that even the Geordies were laughing at United after they lost the shoot-out 1-2.

A few weeks later after City beat Sunderland, I spent a lot of time drinking with a Sunderland fan in the Ibis. From that time onwards, Sunderland have been a team I have had a positive view of.

A year before that I remember travelling to London with my son for the FA Cup SF against Chelsea. There were a lot of Newcastle on the train from Edinburgh for the early match against Sunderland. When we were travelling back after the match, train was joined by some drunken Geordies who had been in the pub all afternoon after another heavy home defeat. They were obnoxious to everyone including the train staff and the police and ended up being kicked off at Morpeth.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.