Our Badge

It’s interesting how society deals with these types of issues. The slave trade, the Empire etc are all a stain on our past. Removing tge ship from the Manchester Coat of Arms won’t change anything! Instead history needs to be placed into context and our relationship with it needs to evolve. Theres no point in executing a cover up - the UK needs to come to terms with its past and accept responsibility for our ancestor’s actions. The statues of various despots who profited from the slave trade should not be in prominent places like they were in Bristol but they should be preserved in museums for people to learn from. The Germans could have bulldozed Dacau and pretended it was never there - but far better to preserve it and let us understand the horrors that took place there.

FFS,The ship is not 'a symbol of the slave trade' is it though? How many people immediately think of the slave trade when they see the ship on the badge? Utter woke nonsense, trying to create a problem when there is none!

I assumed the ship related to the canal, and asthetically looked better than a diesel coaster pumping fumes into the air and bilge into the canal?

I'd love to change it to the Manchester Bee as was suggested by a fellow blue in the media thread.

Personally I never liked the eagle so glad that's gone. The ship relates to Manchester history - good or bad - so I don't mind it. I mean we are a British team and Britain used to have the biggest, arguably most brutal empire of all time so of course our history is going to be tainted... The point is it's way long ago in the past so I doubt many people actually care or have even connected the dots on the ship.

I assumed the ship related to the canal, and asthetically looked better than a diesel coaster pumping fumes into the air and bilge into the canal?

I thought this as well, but it turned out the ship on the Manchester coat of arms (1842) predates the canal by 50 years (opened 1894) which is pretty conclusive.

It’s interesting how society deals with these types of issues. The slave trade, the Empire etc are all a stain on our past. Removing tge ship from the Manchester Coat of Arms won’t change anything! Instead history needs to be placed into context and our relationship with it needs to evolve. Theres no point in executing a cover up - the UK needs to come to terms with its past and accept responsibility for our ancestor’s actions. The statues of various despots who profited from the slave trade should not be in prominent places like they were in Bristol but they should be preserved in museums for people to learn from. The Germans could have bulldozed Dacau and pretended it was never there - but far better to preserve it and let us understand the horrors that took place there.

haven't we as a nation done this? Or at least in the right direction.

The constant rewriting of history sounds exactly like what the Germans did about the 2nd world war to their students.

Soon we will have football banned because people used a pigs bladder

It is a fucking boat.

I for one am proud as fuck of the Manchester Ship Canal and the extraordinary feat of engineering that it represents. Do I deserve my heritage being taken away from me by some pontificating southern nonce?

At some point we have got to put a stop to this shite from two hundred years ago that can’t be changed and get on with sorting today’s urgent problems out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.