Our current badge.

gingerthai said:
Mëtal Bikër said:
Even after all these years i've never warmed to the "new" badge.

It's just not City to me. I grew up with the circular badge and it's what i most associate with the club. (Aside from Maine Road of course)

Yeah, i feel the same way. The only thing i would take off the current badge and try and incorporate is the superbia in proelia. I like the idea of having pride in battle on the shirt.

johnmc said:
I like the "shield" bit of the new badge - just that on its own would do for me

The sheild looks decent, although i really cant stand the three diagonal stripes instead of the Lancashire rose.

The 3 strips represent the 3 Manchester rivers (Irwell, Medlock and Irk) and is part of the Manchester Coat of Arms and should be at the heart of any badge/crest.

howard said:
gingerthai said:
Yeah, i feel the same way. The only thing i would take off the current badge and try and incorporate is the superbia in proelia. I like the idea of having pride in battle on the shirt.

The sheild looks decent, although i really cant stand the three diagonal stripes instead of the Lancashire rose.

The 3 strips represent the 3 Manchester rivers (Irwell, Medlock and Irk) and is part of the Manchester Coat of Arms and should be at the heart of any badge/crest.

I know it represents the three rivers but just purely from personal taste i prefer the red rose.

Like the current badge and from a design point of view the old one is a mess, looks cheap.

If they think about a new one they should let the designers do their work, if we ask the fans to choose i can only imagine how crap it might be.

Homer+car.jpg

A full history of the badge:

The current club crest was adopted in 1997, a result of the previous crest being ineligible for registration as a trademark. The badge is based on the arms of the city of Manchester, and consists of a shield in front of a golden eagle. The shield features a ship on its upper half representing the Manchester Ship Canal, and three diagonal stripes in the lower half, for the city's three rivers. The bottom of the badge bears the motto Superbia in Proelio, which translates as Pride in Battle in Latin. Above the eagle and shield are three stars, which are purely decorative.

City have previously worn two other crests on their shirts. The first, introduced in 1970, was based on designs which had been used on official club documentation since the mid-1960s. It consisted of a circular badge which used the same shield as the current crest, inside a circle bearing the name of the club. In 1972, this was replaced by a variation which replaced the lower half of the shield with the red rose of Lancashire. On occasions when Manchester City plays in a major cup final, the usual crest has not been used; instead shirts bearing a badge of the arms of the City of Manchester are used, as a symbol of pride in representing the city of Manchester at a major event. This practice originates from a time when the players' shirts did not normally bear a badge of any kind, but has continued throughout the history of the club.

gingerthai said:
A full history of the badge:

On occasions when Manchester City plays in a major cup final, the usual crest has not been used; instead shirts bearing a badge of the arms of the City of Manchester are used, as a symbol of pride in representing the city of Manchester at a major event. This practice originates from a time when the players' shirts did not normally bear a badge of any kind, but has continued throughout the history of the club.

Now that is a what i want to see :-) Come on Wembley special edition shirt

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.