Our Defence

malg

I sometimes wonder what the defenders are being briefed before a game, or during training. Mangala is getting dog's abuse over in his own thread, but I think a lot of it is unfair given that most of our defenders are guilty of the same shite. I've tried to defend the lad, but not because I don't think he's making any errors, I just think he doesn't deserve it on his own, I think the whole defence needs a boot up the arse.

Diving in has got to ludicrous levels. Mangala, Otamendi, Clichy......even Vinny is culpable of it. As for positional sense, it appears that no fucker is getting any coaching at all. Fuck knows what's going through Joe Hart's mind half the time watching what's going on in front of him.

I've got plenty of questions, but no idea what the answers are:

Is it that the cover in front of the back four is non existent, therefore the central defenders are getting dragged out of position?

Is it an ever changing back four, who have no idea how to play as a defensive unit? I've seen the centre backs out wide getting involved where the full backs should be, or even one of our wide players.

Is it that Vinny is the only leader we have back there? He seems to knit it together.

Can Hart do more? He can see it all, can he not give out a bollocking to Mangala/Otamendi and tell them that they're centre backs, and to stop fucking wandering.

Is the manager to blame, or the coaching staff? Let's face it, they must be OK with the racing out and diving in otherwise the fuckers wouldn't be doing it.

I thought we were a little flaky yesterday but then I realised all was well when I saw Bournemouth's second goal! Bigger laugh than their first one!!

I thought the defence held up reasonably well but it seems that we are still in 'make a mistake concede a goal' mode. I've been saying all season that Mangala will run down anyone, but yesterday he was just that half a second off the pace and let Gomis get the jump on him and we concede.

I have a view that defending starts from the front. Well it does at every other club but we have some of the laziest players around when it comes to this.

Need kompany back when he plays he leads the team and organises the defence he's our best defender and the captain and leader the sooner we get him back the better I just hope it's not to far away here doesn't seem to be a time frame on when he's back any one any idea?

Delph playing as a forward yesterday in the second half .
He was more forward than anybody .
Another weird move by Pellergrini .
That midfield was too easy to bypass in the second half

Mangala was at fault for the goal yesterday..

However Otamendi has been at fault for several goals over the past few weeks..

The early promise he showed has now gone..

I think Otamendi would be far more suited in a DM role in the Prem, he just isnt physical enough as a centre half and gets beaten too easily.

It starts with the striker and other forwards. We have no pressing game at all and don't defend narrowly from the front neither. We are spread out as a team a lot and therefore there are large gaps everywhere. From there we often just have two central midfielders. Klopp and Hughes (and whoever the Swansea manager was yesterday) sussed out that playing with no striker and dropping the extra man (flase 9 if you like) deep gives them more numbers in midfield than us. So Yaya and Fernandinho are going to struggle.

Then still before getting onto the centre halves Pellegrini is asking four 30+ year olds - none of which (possibly Clichy to be fair to him) have any real pace - to bomb up and down the wing all game. But because we have a lot of gaps around the pitch teams can counter attack us quickly and when that happens our full back are out of position and can't really get back quickly. Could you imagine the difference to our team Alex Sandro and Seamus Coleman would make? But we don't have them and Pellegrini expects our full backs to do the job they can. What can often hell with this is the defensive mids covering the fullback area. But if there's 2v3 or 2v4 in centre mid, they can't do that.

Then the centre halves. They are hung out to dry by everything above often, but also they don't seem to be drilled on moving up and down together. The difference to what we used to see with Kompany and Lescott to any partnership we have now is stark. They are also often to wide apart too as they are worried about a missing full back.

At times our defending is absolute chaos. I think it's poor and is the reason I can't take to Pellegrini. Even the most attack minded elite managers pay huge attention to detail to defending. We don't seem to at all.

Unfortunately if u wont ur left and right backs to bomb forwards at every opportunity u have to have ur midfielders to cover for that and thats one thing we dont do as our midfielders are the ones that are our most creative players . U cant have both. .?

I sometimes wonder what the defenders are being briefed before a game, or during training. Mangala is getting dog's abuse over in his own thread, but I think a lot of it is unfair given that most of our defenders are guilty of the same shite. I've tried to defend the lad, but not because I don't think he's making any errors, I just think he doesn't deserve it on his own, I think the whole defence needs a boot up the arse.

Diving in has got to ludicrous levels. Mangala, Otamendi, Clichy......even Vinny is culpable of it. As for positional sense, it appears that no fucker is getting any coaching at all. Fuck knows what's going through Joe Hart's mind half the time watching what's going on in front of him.

I've got plenty of questions, but no idea what the answers are:

Is it that the cover in front of the back four is non existent, therefore the central defenders are getting dragged out of position?

Is it an ever changing back four, who have no idea how to play as a defensive unit? I've seen the centre backs out wide getting involved where the full backs should be, or even one of our wide players.

Is it that Vinny is the only leader we have back there? He seems to knit it together.

Can Hart do more? He can see it all, can he not give out a bollocking to Mangala/Otamendi and tell them that they're centre backs, and to stop fucking wandering.

Is the manager to blame, or the coaching staff? Let's face it, they must be OK with the racing out and diving in otherwise the fuckers wouldn't be doing it.

We should be defending from the front once the ball is turned over every player should be looking up and seeing where their man is instead of trotting back into position. I don't think we've properly replaced Gaz Barry as there doesn't seem anyone sensible to drop into a full back position when the likes of Kolorov and Sagna are bombing forward.

The moment the ball is lost we should be back into a compact shape and looking to close the ball and cut off options, we don't and let passes build up and other movements from the opposition occur.

The gap between our midfield and defence and gives other teams licence to operate in that space. Otemendi goes hunting for the ball in full back positions when he shouldn't. Mangala needs someone with him that can organise.

I think we will be in the market for full backs on both sides this summer. Sagna looks tired at the moment but not much chance of a rest and the left side is a problem we have never addressed since the take over.

The defensive problems will only ever be solved with a change of manager and how he decides to coach and set up the team. City were hard to get at under Mancini but in his final season the goals ran out. Pellergrini is the other way round and wants to out score his way through games. A manager that can cover both disciplines is required.

Unfortunately if u wont ur left and right backs to bomb forwards at every opportunity u have to have ur midfielders to cover for that and thats one thing we dont do as our midfielders are the ones that are our most creative players . U cant have both. .?

Yesterday, our full backs didn't bomb up and down, in fact offensively they added nothing yet we were still all over the place.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.