Our Defence

No pressing from the main forward at all. The opposition defenders know that Bony will never close them down.

And worst of all IMO are the full backs who NEVER stop the cross coming over.

Just posted on another thread we've conceded 17 goals in the last 11 league games. Only the current bottom 6 have conceded more.

I don't believe it's down to the players, the Engineer has got us stuck in reverse!

I thought we were a little flaky yesterday but then I realised all was well when I saw Bournemouth's second goal! Bigger laugh than their first one!!

I thought the defence held up reasonably well but it seems that we are still in 'make a mistake concede a goal' mode. I've been saying all season that Mangala will run down anyone, but yesterday he was just that half a second off the pace and let Gomis get the jump on him and we concede.
Would agree with this in a few matches of past, e.g. Gladbach game.

But yesterday, the Stoke game & the Liverpool game we could & should have conceded far more than we did. Swansea had 3-4 big chances before scoring. Pure luck & Hart doing well that prevented such. Was pretty shambolic, especially considering we seemingly had settled for a 1-0 lead & seemingly were actively trying to defend rather than just getting caught out whilst we attacked.

Yesterday, our full backs didn't bomb up and down, in fact offensively they added nothing yet we were still all over the place.
+1

I'm no expert but surely the first thing to cut out is to stop the diving in by the centre halves, just tell them to stay rooted to their position and hold their line with each other, when the player gets within 25 yards of goal that is the time to press them, not 40+ yards from goal.

We don't defend anymore with pellers . defence is now like arsenal's weak n leaks goals doesn't matter if we have best centre half's in world football the way we play and set up they would leak goals . We don't tackle to get the ball back we now mostly get the ball back from the opposition from their stray passes or break down in their play .

I said on the post-match thread that from where I sit, in 109, you can see one thing straight away. In the first half the Swansea back four lined up on the 18 yard line with their three midfielders about 10-15 yards in front. That meant that when we attacked, we had no room in and around their box. In the second half, our back four was 15-20 yards further up, which is about where Swansea's midfield was in the first half, and our midfield was more worried about attacking than defending.

We were 1-0 up with minutes to go, with Swansea having a lot of attacking players on, yet everyone was still upfield. Gomis was on the shoulder of Mangala yet still had loads of space behind him to run into, meaning he could run past him and still have enough angle to get off a shot (although I don't think Hart should have been beaten from that angle). If our defence had been instructed to pull back their line 20 yards for the last 10 minutes, with the 4 midfielders (Toure, Delph, Fernandinho & Navas) told to sit 10-15 yards in front, then I doubt we would have conceded, certainly not in the way we did.

We were 1-0 up with minutes to go, with Swansea having a lot of attacking players on, yet everyone was still upfield. Gomis was on the shoulder of Mangala yet still had loads of space behind him to run into, meaning he could run past him and still have enough angle to get off a shot (although I don't think Hart should have been beaten from that angle). If our defence had been instructed to pull back their line 20 yards for the last 10 minutes, with the 4 midfielders (Toure, Delph, Fernandinho & Navas) told to sit 10-15 yards in front, then I doubt we would have conceded, certainly not in the way we did.
Yeah, I don't get this obsession with playing the high line all the time. Sure, do it when the game is open and we're dominating possession and chances. But once we've got the lead and it's become obvious that we're not going to create much, why not just play deeper and on the counter, especially given the players we've got? It's the lack of flexibility that annoys me. I thought he'd decided to do that when Delph came on for Sterling, but it was more of the same, but with a central midfielder trying to play as a winger.

I said on the post-match thread that from where I sit, in 109, you can see one thing straight away. In the first half the Swansea back four lined up on the 18 yard line with their three midfielders about 10-15 yards in front. That meant that when we attacked, we had no room in and around their box. In the second half, our back four was 15-20 yards further up, which is about where Swansea's midfield was in the first half, and our midfield was more worried about attacking than defending.

It is a worry that every team now knows how we play and that the key thing for them is to time runs and especially from deep and we can be undone. Yesterday though as soon as I heard that Yaya was one of 2 central midfield players I feared problems.As ever he can be good on the ball and as likely as anyone to create or score but as any sort of defensive midfield player you can almost totally discount him... Swansea did!

I used to see a plan it what we were doing. Even in the dregs of last season. It appeared to me that we were trying to evolve into a pressing team, which won the ball in the opponent's half, preferably their back 3rd, & all the rest of the defensive stuff was designed around that.

The problem as I saw it, was that we only pressed for about 5 mins from kickoff. After 15 we had given up, & were then just a piss por team defensively, wide open. So I gave Pellegrini the benefit of the doubt, that the players were fatigued after the title win, World Cup etc, some were bought to play Mancini's system not this one, ffp, he will make some signings & get the front plus midfield pressing etc.

So we get Sterling who is probably the best we faced & tore us a new arsehole playing that exact game, DeBruyne, lively as fuck, Delph, loads of energy.

And we don't play like that. and we still defend like kids apart from when Kompany organises it. But Sterling & DeBruyne are also two of the most fearsome counter attacking players around. But we don't play counter attacking football.

We seem to be playing a mixture of plans & styles & & not all necessarily playing the same one at the same time. Some are pressing, some are stood still, it is basically in crisis. The whole thing is falling apart. The cbs are rushing out even when they have no possibility of getting to the ball or stopping the player, thus leaving a hole every time. The fullbacks are neither attacking nor defending, the midfield neither sitting nor running properly, just in no mans land.

Yet only a few weeks ago, in Seville, we had a nice organised, balanced team. Rather than work on it, we have yet again, changed everything.

It's becoming impossible to tell which players are good enough, because none have a fucking clue what they are supposed to do.

It is a worry that every team now knows how we play and that the key thing for them is to time runs and especially from deep and we can be undone. Yesterday though as soon as I heard that Yaya was one of 2 central midfield players I feared problems.As ever he can be good on the ball and as likely as anyone to create or score but as any sort of defensive midfield player you can almost totally discount him... Swansea did!

You would think though, that if it would ever work, it would be v a side like Swansea, at home. But as a team, we didn't play any kind of quality football, so rather than us passing the ball around & opening up them, they were passing it around & exploiting our lack of numbers in midfield & organisation in defence.

You would imagine that a tactical change would happen early on, to combat it, but that change was at half time, Delph on the wing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.