Our Defence

Ono, I like all your points, hits on most of our problems. However, I do think Ota is far better than Kompany on one v ones. Frankly, he might be the best CB at it anywhere in the world.

Ono, I like all your points, hits on most of our problems. However, I do think Ota is far better than Kompany on one v ones. Frankly, he might be the best CB at it anywhere in the world.

Not for me sometime soon he's gonna get 1 wrong and the red card will be out!

Not for me sometime soon he's gonna get 1 wrong and the red card will be out!
Yeah he we'll. Just like I've seen Kompany get beat and get a yellow or red. This didn't change my view that Komp was still a superior 1 v 1 defender. I just think Ota is far superior. Frankly, I haven't seen a better 1 v 1 defender in the Prem this season. He win far more than he should be expected to in 1v1 situations.

The high defensive line which our manager wants to play is absolutely killing us.

If everyone dropped off 10 to 15 yards things would be a whole lot better.

When we won the Premier League first time round we had a midfield 4 of Barry, De Jong, Yaya (in his pomp) and Silva.

If we still employed Mancinis desire to protect the back four as opposed to our managers desire to win every game 7-6, we should play Delph for Barry, Fernandinho for De Jong, with Fernando as back up to them.

Then Yaya and Silva are still here so can still be played together especially with hard working legs behind them.

The rest of the team is easy to pick as it's any two from De Bruyner, Aguero, Bony, Navas, and Sterling.

Our problem time and time again this season and the Swansea game highlighted it, is that we have too many attacking players on the pitch sometimes.

Hence the Sterling substitution at half time to get extra legs in midfield. Unfortunately that sub unbalanced the side and we became lopsided and as we all know that game was an ordeal, simple as.

Kompany returning sooner rather than later will be essential, I believe Komapny and Ottamendi can form a really solid centre half partnership.

Only my observations on the matter thats all.

We've never looked comfortable defensively under Pellegrini. He insists on playing the defence higher, which lacks pace. Our midfield bar Delph and Ferna doesn't have the energy or desire to press the opponent. We have Sterling, Silva, De Bruyne and Aguero who are brilliant with the ball but don't offer much without it and more often than not Pellegrini plays 3 of them at a time which hinders us.

We've never looked comfortable defensively under Pellegrini. He insists on playing the defence higher, which lacks pace. Our midfield bar Delph and Ferna doesn't have the energy or desire to press the opponent. We have Sterling, Silva, De Bruyne and Aguero who are brilliant with the ball but don't offer much without it and more often than not Pellegrini plays 3 of them at a time which hinders us.

There was an interesting article in The Independent about the success Leicester and Watford are having with 442.

It argues that if when you lose possession one of your two strikers drops back to their rear central midfielder to make it a 451 then you benefit from having more men in the box in attack.

But of course that demands a particular type of striker, which Bony and Dzecko aren't and Aguero is too valuable elsewhere.

It's certainly the case we could do with getting more bodies in the box sometimes and having the team press from the front.

He also argues that the wingers in 442 do more defending than in the more advanced positioning in 4231. Whether that's down to other factors though, I wouldn't like to say. But he argues it leaves the centre backs less exposed.

Thought it was an interesting viewpoint given how both Watford and especially Leicester have punched well above their weight while teams like us and Chelsea have struggled with 442. Like against Barca away.

I certainly wouldn't mind a forward that could fill the deep lying and pressing second striker option for the tactical flexibility.

Can anyone see Nacho in that role? Genuine question and not a dig. He's an exciting young player.

There was an interesting article in The Independent about the success Leicester and Watford are having with 442.

It argues that if when you lose possession one of your two strikers drops back to their rear central midfielder to make it a 451 then you benefit from having more men in the box in attack.

But of course that demands a particular type of striker, which Bony and Dzecko aren't and Aguero is too valuable elsewhere.

It's certainly the case we could do with getting more bodies in the box sometimes and having the team press from the front.

He also argues that the wingers in 442 do more defending than in the more advanced positioning in 4231. Whether that's down to other factors though, I wouldn't like to say. But he argues it leaves the centre backs less exposed.

Thought it was an interesting viewpoint given how both Watford and especially Leicester have punched well above their weight while teams like us and Chelsea have struggled with 442. Like against Barca away.

I certainly wouldn't mind a forward that could fill the deep lying and pressing second striker option for the tactical flexibility.

Can anyone see Nacho in that role? Genuine question and not a dig. He's an exciting young player.

We miss a Tevez type player.........should've got Suarez/Sanchez but being financially nobbled didn't help.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.