Our Defence

Defense is none existent; we can't win the league that way. I wonder if we will go out and get a replacement in January or just wait till summer time.

Yeah he we'll. Just like I've seen Kompany get beat and get a yellow or red. This didn't change my view that Komp was still a superior 1 v 1 defender. I just think Ota is far superior. Frankly, I haven't seen a better 1 v 1 defender in the Prem this season. He win far more than he should be expected to in 1v1 situations.

You're nothing if not obstinate. Otamendi has been sub-par for the past 4 or 5 games, missing crucial tackles against Moenchengladbach, Swansea and Stoke in particular. Mangala looks way better next to Kompany than Otamendi. Your only argument is that Otamendi is fit whereas Kompany isn't - but that has nothing to do with their respective qualities as defenders.

I'm still a fan of Otamendi, but for you to hold on like a dying man to your assertion that he is better than Kompany (which was at best dubious at inception) is frankly ludicrous.

It's a whole team problem - its not fair to simply scapegoat the defense or Mangala.
We set up to play a possession + pressing game with a high defensive line, except then we don't press when we lose the ball. Their midfielders have a million years to pick out a defense splitting pass leaving our backs completely exposed.

Kolarov being the worlds slowest and least positionally aware left back doesn't help either, nor does Mangala's lapses in concentration, but fundamentally the problem lies as much with the forwards and midfielders not defending and harassing from the front - which is essential when you keep such a high defensive line.

Theres 2 solutions really - we need to field a team that can effectively pressure the ball in the midfield and forward areas or we need to sit a good 15 yards deeper. We have the pace of Sterling, Navas and Aguero and the long-passing skill of De Bruyne to be able to break more quickly and effectively from a deep position if we chose to play that way.

Last edited:
^^ Agree partially with above post. I'd play Clichy for there for the time being to plug the gap. Kolarov doing his meandering runs 70 yards up the pitch leaves our defence massively exposed. It's like we're playing with a back 3 at times. A new LB needs to be priority in Summer or even Jan if poss!!!

You're nothing if not obstinate. Otamendi has been sub-par for the past 4 or 5 games, missing crucial tackles against Moenchengladbach, Swansea and Stoke in particular. Mangala looks way better next to Kompany than Otamendi. Your only argument is that Otamendi is fit whereas Kompany isn't - but that has nothing to do with their respective qualities as defenders.

I'm still a fan of Otamendi, but for you to hold on like a dying man to your assertion that he is better than Kompany (which was at best dubious at inception) is frankly ludicrous.
Oh please. He is a better 1 v 1 tackler. Sure he had subpar games against Stoke, and Swansea. He was very good against Gladbach.

I know you do your best to point out every missed tackle, just to hold on to your view Kompany has been better.

In spite of those 2 average games. He is a better 1 v 1 defender. And as of 4 weeks ago when I made this claim, he was City's best overall defender. I'm sure he will be come end of season.

No need hurrying here to come disparage him every chance you get just coz others think he has been better than a player you prefer.

So far this season, he has been our best CB. Kompany was good at the beginning, and absent since. I don't know about you, but I don't rate absence highly.

I'll probably get slaughtered for saying this but I think Otamendi gets away with a lot of his rash and frankly at times poor play because of his aggression in the tackle, much like our Nige did.

I'll probably get slaughtered for saying this but I think Otamendi gets away with a lot of his rash and frankly at times poor play because of his aggression in the tackle, much like our Nige did.

have been saying the same since he joined. however i do think he's a decent player and i think he'll be very good for us if he just calms down, but for now he's very rash in decisions

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.