Our rail network is laughable, it's a F**king joke.

Towards the end of the 80’s it became a good service. Comparably better than most rail services in Europe, and I seem to recall it was one of the first nationalised rail passenger services to make a profit.

Then the Tories fucked it.
Led by John Major.
Thatcher called it 'a privatisation too far' and wouldn't do it, but Major had to demonstrate that he had his own ideas.
Thatcher wasn't wrong about everything.

Led by John Major.
Thatcher called it 'a privatisation too far' and wouldn't do it, but Major had to demonstrate that he had his own ideas.
Thatcher wasn't wrong about everything.
I wrote an article for an (unrelated) trade paper that explained how daft it would be to separate track and trains. It stemmed from an EU directive and many claim it's been a success. I think it's been a disaster - sorting out the compensation for delays (was it a track / signal fault, was it a train operating company failure), then different TOCs means splitting revenue on tickets that can be used by different TOCs *, and most routes with no competition between the TOCs, drivers who only know a limited number of traction and routes (so another company exists to rescue stranded trains). * The Railway Clearing House used to do that before nationalisation, and it was always important to know where revenue was generated (and spent).

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.