Owning a nice watch

Oman..Buy vintage Schaffhausen...'64 onwards and it will house the infamous ( in-house) calibre 854(1) and if youre keen youll touch for one for 1.5k ( something like a yacht club model though there are many nice non named models from this period).you ever dont want it will realise that in the marketplace ( simple simon tackle). If you want to dip a leg then 4k will buy you a period Ingenieur ref666 and 5/6k will buy the later ref 866. If you want to go proper olde school then a in-house manual wind is not to be sniffed at..the calatrava cased mk10 military calibre 83 will likely cost ya 4 and the sweep seconds antimagnetic calibre 89 somewhere between 4 and 6k. For my money the 666 and mk 10 are darlings but like ive said there are no named models out there for less dough. Only thing youve got to watch is the dials originality...if you do get warm to one give us a whistle.

Last edited:
I think the last time I owned a watch, I never looked at it to tell the time in all the time I had it. Always looked at my phone instead.

Got a Tag Heuer Aquaracer for everyday, quartz movement so no winding, basically bullet proof had it over 10 years now.

Got a Rolex Datejust as well, as mentioned above, gone up 1.5k since I bought it last July.

Watchmaster, Watchfinder or Chrono24 for biggest choice of pre owned

Tudor Black Bay 58.
v63gjVo.gif

gzXWViH.jpg

Sister company of Rolex without the gaudiness associated with the parent.

Tudor Black Bay 58.
v63gjVo.gif

gzXWViH.jpg

Sister company of Rolex without the gaudiness associated with the parent.

My lovely wife has recently treated me to a Tudor Pelagos its a smashing watch, however as part of the deal I have had to ship out an Omega seamaster which to my amazement has has gained value and it was only the quartz version.

On the Casio front, If you can stretch to an "Oceanus", they are fabulous watches.

It's their top of the range exclusive brand and is hand-assembled and finished, and made of polished titanium. There's a number of models, but the basic one is about $500 and you can import it from japan:

1613990468782.png
I have to confess I own about 20 watches of varying price range (having been a bit of a watch nut in previous life) but my Oceanus is the watch that I wear 99% of the time.

I have this one:

1613990639182.png

It is a technological marvel - never needs winding or a battery; syncs with the MSF radio signal and with GPS so it is accurate to fractions of a second, permanently. And it automatically changes to the correct local time when you get off a plane. It is light, extremely tough and scratch resistance, comfortable and IMO good looking. It is brilliant.

It even has a (invisible) laser in it at the 11 O'clock mark which measures the position of the hands when they go past, and makes micro adjustments to make sure all the hands always line up absolutely *perfectly* at 12:00:00. It really is incredible.

Last edited:
I fancied a nice watch when I finished work last year. I'd been looking for 12 months or so and had narrowed it down to about 5, the dearest one being this one which was 4k. Anyway, we were in Kuala Lumpur this time last year and there are loads of fancy watch shops in the malls and they are significantly cheaper than here, so I had a look around and got this model for just under 3k. Maybe worth keeping in mind once we can travel again!
20210222_102759.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.