P & O

Does a Ships Masters Certificate also qualify you to pilot an Airbus?
Why not? Entering and leaving port is equivalent to landing and taking off, you've got to make sure the doors are closed before setting off so that's the same, air turbulence can be similar to rough seas. The main difference is that you really don't want a change of altitude on a ferry. Oh, and the food passengers get on a cross channel ferry is miles better than airline food so that might be a bit of a negative.

Why not? Entering and leaving port is equivalent to landing and taking off, you've got to make sure the doors are closed before setting off so that's the same, air turbulence can be similar to rough seas. The main difference is that you really don't want a change of altitude on a ferry. Oh, and the food passengers get on a cross channel ferry is miles better than airline food so that might be a bit of a negative.
I just hope they dont let the passengers sit outside to get some fresh air.

Its not another planet where they live its an alternate reality - see Sunak on Ridge this morning

I sometimes think they genuinely believe what they are doing is right, because as you say their upbringings and world's were different to many of the electorate they supposedly represent. It's like they're in shock when confronted with reality and people showing anger towards them and their policies. They then label these people as a mob etcetera.

I sometimes think they genuinely believe what they are doing is right, because as you say their upbringings and world's were different to many of the electorate they supposedly represent. It's like they're in shock when confronted with reality and people showing anger towards them and their policies. They then label these people as a mob etcetera.
They don’t care. Every time anything like this happens, they feign shock, before suggesting it’s not their fault as they are world beating on workers’ rights and that it would have been worse under Labour.

Then they give one of the P&O directors a peerage with some of the money donated to them from the savings made by “sacking” these 800 people.

They don’t care. Every time anything like this happens, they feign shock, before suggesting it’s not their fault as they are world beating on workers’ rights and that it would have been worse under Labour.

Then they give one of the P&O directors a peerage with some of the money donated to them from the savings made by “sacking” these 800 people.

It's insane how they get away with this hire and fire policy, it's the equivalent of the old days of crowds of workers standing outside a workplace while the big boss picks who he wants. Now they have a worldwide workforce to choose from and some poor sod from an impoverished country will always do it for less. It's not far off slave labour no matter how they want to dress it up.

Its not shock its denial they are in - they refuse to recognise the real world

This lady who worked; on one of the ships I used to be on posted this, she got it spot on. She had managerial jobs ashore before doing a stint on the ferries so got the complexities of doing such work as opposed to maybe a 9-5 ashore, although obviously that's not to downplay the stress in those jobs, just different.

To all the P&O OBS crew, I want to tell you that working ashore you will never have to go through half of what you've been dealing with for years

•You'll never have to serve 2000 people in 90 minutes and then have 30 minutes to clean up after them and restock for the next load.

. You'll never have to prepare and serve hot food and drinks while the floor bucks like a bronco under you.

• If drunk students trash the place, or pissed football fans start a fight, you won't have to deal with it yourself, you'll be able to call the police to sort it out.

• If someone has a heart attack, you'll be able to call an ambulance. It will no longer just be down to you to keep them alive.

• In an emergency you'll be able to show people to the

exit, you'll no longer have to get them mustered, into

life jackets, down the shute into a life raft. It'll no

longer be down to you to keep them safe till help

arrives. (Bonus, you'll no longer have to get up at 4am

on a Sunday to do the evacuation drill.)

• If it's windy you'll still finish work on time. You will no longer get stuck at work for 30 odd hours with no where to sleep and no clean clothes.

Most people have no idea what it means to work aboard a cross channel ferry, and few would be able to do it. You are a special breed.

Any employee who takes you on will get so much more than they realise, they'll get relentlessly hard working, resilient staff, with an amazing sense of humour and an arsenal of skills from first aid to crisis management, even fire fighting training in some cases.

I'm proud to have worked with you, and I grieve for the way you've been treated.

Its not another planet where they live its an alternate reality - see Sunak on Ridge this morning

I agree on the alternative reality. It’s like Johnson equating voting for Brexit and fighting the Russians. A lot of Conservative voters and their base think this way. Remember the comments about the EU=USSR? They genuinely think they are freedom fighters rather than addled loons.

That the Ukrainians are literally dying for the right to join the EU makes no impact in their bizarro world.

It's insane how they get away with this hire and fire policy, it's the equivalent of the old days of crowds of workers standing outside a workplace while the big boss picks who he wants. Now they have a worldwide workforce to choose from and some poor sod from an impoverished country will always do it for less. It's not far off slave labour no matter how they want to dress it up.
We’re getting to the stage of capitalism where there isn’t much more to cut. Then what happens?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.