Painting decking tips

Yes my bad, forgot the op's using paint. We used it in combo with decking oil and the finish was superlative.
I watched my mate change the oil on his car and paint the fence panels with the old oil mixed with fence paint. It didn’t smell nice for about six weeks but looked good and it lasted forever.

the way you have done it sounds the best way with the oil/paint combo. Problem with decking is you can’t paint all the lats completely without taking it up.

We do this job all the time. No-Nonsense Silver birch from Screwfix seems to be the preferred choice at the moment.

You have done all the prep work, so all you need to is make sure the decking is totally dry. Any moisture and you will get flaky areas later.
We use a long handle Harris decking brush. We bought in bulk years ago, so not sure if they are still available. They are basically a soft dense broom.
Pour the paint into a standard builders bucket. Dip the brush in about 1".
Work/paint each decking board about two foot. Don't be too perfectionist about the first coating. We tend to keep it thin for faster drying.
If after a few minutes you can see any pooling/wet spots, go back and rebrush it. The first coat will look a little patchy.
We recoat the same day (on warmer days). A third coat would be after 24 hours.
Depending on the decking spacing, you may need to hand brush any side runs.

Just to warn you now, i would never recommend using this product unless you are prepared to maintain and recoat indefinitely.
It does develop a film on top of the wood rather than soaking in like proper stains, so eventually wear and algae/dirt build up. Constantly wet areas will flake.
Most of our customers are wealthy and don't mind paying to have it recleaned and touched up every season. It just doesn't last like a traditional stain.

I prefer to to spray linseed oil on new decking. Even old decking can be made to look new if you gently power wash it, treat with Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) then oil. You can even add some tints if you don't like the "new" look. Much longer lasting, no peeling/flaking and none slip.

Just lay artificial grass over the decking, job done and dusted never needs painting just a quick Hoover by the mrs keeps her busy.

Just lay artificial grass over the decking, job done and dusted never needs painting just a quick Hoover by the mrs keeps her busy.

Not kidding, never vacuum artificial grass. We have it around the pool, and the Dyson stunk of wet dog for months!

We do this job all the time. No-Nonsense Silver birch from Screwfix seems to be the preferred choice at the moment.

You have done all the prep work, so all you need to is make sure the decking is totally dry. Any moisture and you will get flaky areas later.
We use a long handle Harris decking brush. We bought in bulk years ago, so not sure if they are still available. They are basically a soft dense broom.
Pour the paint into a standard builders bucket. Dip the brush in about 1".
Work/paint each decking board about two foot. Don't be too perfectionist about the first coating. We tend to keep it thin for faster drying.
If after a few minutes you can see any pooling/wet spots, go back and rebrush it. The first coat will look a little patchy.
We recoat the same day (on warmer days). A third coat would be after 24 hours.
Depending on the decking spacing, you may need to hand brush any side runs.

Just to warn you now, i would never recommend using this product unless you are prepared to maintain and recoat indefinitely.
It does develop a film on top of the wood rather than soaking in like proper stains, so eventually wear and algae/dirt build up. Constantly wet areas will flake.
Most of our customers are wealthy and don't mind paying to have it recleaned and touched up every season. It just doesn't last like a traditional stain.

I prefer to to spray linseed oil on new decking. Even old decking can be made to look new if you gently power wash it, treat with Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) then oil. You can even add some tints if you don't like the "new" look. Much longer lasting, no peeling/flaking and none slip.

Got the Cuprinol anti slip silver birch and went with a brush in the end. Fucking ran out of paint and cant get anymore until later in the week but the weather is set fair here so no real issue. Will get another 5 ltr which will finish this first coat and be more than enough for a second. After stripping it and cleaning with oxygen bleach i really wanted to oil it but oh no, she wants it coloured so who the fuck am I to argue.

I watched my mate change the oil on his car and paint the fence panels with the old oil mixed with fence paint. It didn’t smell nice for about six weeks but looked good and it lasted forever.

the way you have done it sounds the best way with the oil/paint combo. Problem with decking is you can’t paint all the lats completely without taking it up.
Done that before. Helps if let the oil down with petrol. Lasts for years but does hum a bit for a week or two. Tends to lighten in colour slightly with time....
Also...put an old towels down if you're thinking of sun bathing. No smoking or bbqs on it for at least a week.

High maintenance when push comes to shove. The modern approach is artificial Astro Turf bordered with a hint of timber. Immaculate to look at no weeding.

9bxAYK2.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.