Panic On The Streets of Tampa! / Hurricane Milton

America uses whether waffle houses are open as an unofficial gauge of the severity of a storm, its not a real country is it

The Waffle House Index is actually pretty ingenious. If you want to know things like accessibility of food and power in a local area, then what better way to find out than tracking businesses that are profit incentivised to provide exactly those two things with maximum efficiency?

It’s a good example of creatively using data that already exists and maintains itself, rather than building something from scratch that you have to then maintain.

The Waffle House Index is actually pretty ingenious. If you want to know things like accessibility of food and power in a local area, then what better way to find out than tracking businesses that are profit incentivised to provide exactly those two things with maximum efficiency?

It’s a good example of creatively using data that already exists and maintains itself, rather than building something from scratch that you have to then maintain.
While i agree with your sentiment we have meteorologists, sattelites, data driven models to assess storms, chucking whether a restaurant is open or not into that is mad

While i agree with your sentiment we have meteorologists, sattelites, data driven models to assess storms, chucking whether a restaurant is open or not into that is mad

Yeah the Americans have all those things too? They didn’t just decide to use waffle house instead of funding FEMA.

Think of it as another (nearly free) data index to be used in conjunction with all the others to build a clearer picture of what is happening and could happen.

We should probably create one for whether Luke Shaw has been seen at a Greggs in a given week. If not, start stocking up on purified water and tins of food.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.