Panic On The Streets of Tampa! / Hurricane Milton

When you see professional meteorologist starts crying on live TV because he sees in real time it getting stronger you know it's going to be a bad one.

I hope everyone in it's path heeds the warnings. Even Biden has been on tonight telling people to GTFO.
Yeah, saw that. He looked really shaken up.
I was trying to understand that extreme reaction and then I read this, which if you know anything about meteorology or storm dynamics, is completely insane (and unfortunately what climatologists and meteorologists having been fearing would begin happening much more regularly as the Atlantic—particularly the Gulf—became warmer and stayed warmer through the summer and fall):

As Hurricane Milton exploded from a Category 1 storm into a Category 5 storm over the course of 12 hours yesterday, climate scientists and meteorologists were stunned. NBC6’s John Morales, a veteran TV meteorologist in South Florida, choked up on air while describing how quickly and dramatically the storm had intensified. To most people, a drop in pressure of 50 millibars means nothing; a weatherman understands, as Morales said mid-broadcast, that “this is just horrific.” Florida is still cleaning up from Helene; this storm is spinning much faster, and it’s more compact and organized.

I had actually read a few years ago, during another bad hurricane season, a long form article about why Florida is actually arguably the most vulnerable state in the US to the immediate impacts of climate change (and one of the most vulnerable in the world), and there was a section specifically discussing the Tampa Bay Area. It had been riding its luck for over a century, avoiding a direct hit from a major hurricane. And that is concerning because not only is it “overdue”, it is one of the most vulnerable population centres in the US due to its geography and the way in which the city and surround towns have developed. Storm surge alone could do billions in damage because of the reclaimed and low-lying land on which many structures and its infrastructure have been built. Miami is always quite vulnerable (and parts of it—mostly lower income areas and the islands—already flood pretty badly every time there is a moderate rain storm, much less a hurricane).

And now it looks like Tampa’s luck may have run out.

I’ve not seen it mentioned a lot but I was very concerned for Yucatan. A lot of the focus has been on Tampa, but it looked like Mexico might get the full impact of a category 5. Fortunately, it looks like it hasn’t quite reached land there so they have escaped the worst of it.

The depressing thing was seeing that clip of the meteorologist choking up on Twitter, and then seeing the mobs of people in the comments accusing him of “shilling for climate change”. Morons. That site is an absolute cesspit. This is people’s lives we’re talking about, and yet they have to make everything about their silly weird conspiracy theories. People like this are just not normal.

Seen some incredible footage of meteorologicalists crying on their reports and predictions. When the scientists are properly bricking it, panic.

Sad to hear of a woman drowned in Calkiní, Mexico. The fact so few reports of death and injury are so low shows that Mexico has its house in order and evacauated those from risk areas fast and effectively. Seems USA and Florida are pushing 6 million to evacuate. Big numbers. Stay safe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.