Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

So why didn't our girl in the skeet shooting appeal.
She was clearly robbed as she clearly hit the target.
Basically CAS got involved because the gymnastics judges didn't follow their own rules. The rules state that an appeal has to be within a minute. The USA appeal was after 1 minute and 4 seconds, but they changed the result anyway. It's stupid really, because by breaking the rules, they got to the correct decision, but ultimately, you can't choose when a rule applies and when it doesn't.

In the shooting, there is no VAR, she put her hands up to appeal the judge's decision and her appeal was (incorrectly) rejected. The rules might be stupid, but if they followed them to the letter, there's nothing to appeal. It's also worth mentioning that the woman who won also had a probable hit not counted earlier in the contest, so it's the same for everyone. But you'd think for something as important as the Olympics, they'd be able to sort out a video replay system.

America will do a great job with the opening ceremony. People said the same thing about London. But there's a reason our music and culture goes worldwide, and it'll be the same for LA.
I've no doubt the games will be good, they'll be highly visible as well, so a good time to really out some investment into Team GB.

I just can't see the venues being as spectacular, we'll see. They tend to only bother with their big sports, I watch the Athletics diamond league quite often and the races in America always seem the worst attended and worst atmosphere, like they're only bothered about the American runners and not the rest of the world.

I'm sure LA will put on a great show and Brisbane, although a random choice, will be fantastic. A bit strange it's back in the US so close after 96, and LA itself was 84. Sydney in 2000 then Brisbane 32 years later. But I guess not many places have the resources or desire to host things, and the US is always going to have a huge pull to host Olympics.

The only issue is time difference with LA. Most of the big events are evening sessions that are going to be hard to stay up for! Having said that, at least the BBC have kindly helped us adapt to watching things after they've happened.

I've no doubt the games will be good, they'll be highly visible as well, so a good time to really out some investment into Team GB.

I just can't see the venues being as spectacular, we'll see. They tend to only bother with their big sports, I watch the Athletics diamond league quite often and the races in America always seem the worst attended and worst atmosphere, like they're only bothered about the American runners and not the rest of the world.

The French were very smart with how they used Paris but then there aren't many cities (re)designed the way Paris was and with the kind of uniformal splendor that exists in certain parts of the city.

Will be interesting to see how LA plays it. Like all host cities they'll need to decide what there strengths are and play to them. I presume there's more than a few hints in their bid documentation which I didn't follow at the time. Los Angeles is a very ethnically diverse place beyond just chucking Tom Cruise and Snoop Dogg up there, so it'll be interesting to see how much they lean into that.

I'm sure LA will put on a great show and Brisbane, although a random choice, will be fantastic. A bit strange it's back in the US so close after 96, and LA itself was 84.
In sid meier's civilization 6, it's good for the culture victory.

The French were very smart with how they used Paris but then there aren't many cities (re)designed the way Paris was and with the kind of uniformal splendor that exists in certain parts of the city.

Will be interesting to see how LA plays it. Like all host cities they'll need to decide what there strengths are and play to them. I presume there's more than a few hints in their bid documentation which I didn't follow at the time. Los Angeles is a very ethnically diverse place beyond just chucking Tom Cruise and Snoop Dogg up there, so it'll be interesting to see how much they lean into that.

LA has all the existing infrastructure to host the games. Several probably need adapting and modernising but it's largely ready to go. Paris, like London, did a great job of turning historic sites into venues for the Olympics and didn't need to do a new stadium the way we did either. But whilst there has been a huge amount of credit for the games, I stand by the fact that swimming in the Seine was ridiculous and the sailing events were a disaster. Not too much have been made of either, but when you're looking to host a number of sporting events you would imagine picking a place with wind or an outdoor swimming venue that isn't polluted to fuck should be quite high on the agenda.

LA will do exactly what it already has, roll out the stars and sell things that way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.