Paris Saint-Germain (A) - CL SF | Post-Match Thread

Anybody thinking we were 'very lucky' to come away with a win against PSG wasn't paying enough attention to the game.
Even when they were looking good in the first half they hardly tested Ederson and the back four made sure that any chances they created were half ones at best.
Second half was total domination and that was before the sending off.
They were restricted to one shot in the second half whilst we could have scored 3/4.
So whilst you could argue our goals had an air of luck to them they were fully deserved.

Our goals clearly had an element of good fortune to them but Kev's comes from one of those crosses that just cause havoc one way or another and Riyad hit his shot on target with plenty of pace so in both cases they are not flukes.

None of that makes the win any less merited. I actually said before the game that we have had more than our share of shit happen to us when exiting the UCL so it was about time the fates were kind to us and we are still in credit on that front.

Next leg isn't a formality but it's up to the players to keep the level of performance up and then what will be will be.

I think we should start the second leg as if it's 0-0 and aim to win. Nothing is certain yet and PSG are very dangerous but I think we can do them again because of the psychological damage that comeback did to them. They really didn't know what to do and ended up losing their discipline. It was a surprise to see a top class side do that. We've just got to be aware of the soft antics of Neymar etc that could play a part.
Although our patient pass pass football can frustrate us when we're chasing a game, I admire Pep even more for instilling this belief in the players to just work at the opposition and wear them down.

Our goals clearly had an element of good fortune to them but Kev's comes from one of those crosses that just cause havoc one way or another and Riyad hit his shot on target with plenty of pace so in both cases they are not flukes.

None of that makes the win any less merited. I actually said before the game that we have had more than our share of shit happen to us when exiting the UCL so it was about time the fates were kind to us and we are still in credit on that front.

Next leg isn't a formality but it's up to the players to keep the level of performance up and then what will be will be.
At least they were on target whereas most of our shots have all season been off target.

Reactions: OB1
For how much of a diving horrible bastard Neymar is, he's very very very good. If he has a special game anything can happen.

Him and Mbappe are the only two players who get into our first XI though.

Kylian Mbappé has been ruled out of PSG's upcoming Ligue 1 match against Lens tomorrow. The Frenchman 'feels pain' in his leg, and the club 'do not want to take any risks' ahead of the #UCL
semi-final second-leg against #ManCity next week. [via @lequipe/@ActuFoot_]

Look - let's not quibble.

If we are at our best in the next tie, we'll advance - barring misfortune.

My point though - is that we're very lucky indeed to come home with a 2-1 advantage.

PSG are class - this tie isn't over.

Ahead a man with 10+ minutes remaining - that the score didn't end 3-1 or more in our favor - a missed opportunity. I hope that this doesn't come home to bite us in the 2nd leg.

Yeah but that’s only because you’re pretty clueless, mate.

I think the problem is that some people don't recognise that mistakes are forced by good play. It's not luck.

We dominated possession for 20 minutes against one of the best sides in Europe and made them defend like Burnley holding onto a 1-0 lead. They made mistakes because they were under a level of pressure they just couldn't deal with.

We could easily have scored from more clean opportunities, KDB's overhead kick or Foden's chance from 12 yards, but ultimately if you keep banging on the door, the goal is going to come.

Same thing for the red card. It's not come out of nothing, it came because PSG were losing their heads, seeing us take the game away from them and they became more and more reckless trying to win the ball back and release some pressure.

In the end the red card benefitted them, it broke the game up and the delay, plus Gundogan taking a while to get over the challenge disrupted our absolute onslaught on their goal better than anything PSG could do on their own.

Similarly by the way, us surviving PSG's good spell of the game and only conceding 1 from a set piece is not luck either, it's really good defending and we showed a real strength to not lose it like they did, but roll with the punches and get through to half time.

Kylian Mbappé has been ruled out of PSG's upcoming Ligue 1 match against Lens tomorrow. The Frenchman 'feels pain' in his leg, and the club 'do not want to take any risks' ahead of the #UCL
semi-final second-leg against #ManCity next week. [via @lequipe/@ActuFoot_]
Sky now reporting he has a calf injury

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.