Paris Saint-Germain (A) - CL SF | Post-Match Thread

Well, where do you start with a game like that? Absolutely superb game for the neutrals and I'm sure both teams fancy the second leg!

Before I start, you all know I don't like the CL but I was looking forward to the game tonight. I've said before that the level of officiating in this competition is diabolical and tonight was no exception. Every time we tackled them, they went down clutching ankles and elbows. Every time we made a legitimate tackles it was a foul. I'm sick of it in this competition. The only way you will win this competition is by playing dirty and it's about time we started doing it - clutching heads, faces, going down like we're Neymar. It's about time UEFA starting looking at players like Neymar and retrospectively carding them. This is the problem with the CL, there's too much cheating. Of course, that guy who tried to break Gundogan's leg deserved the red and I hope once we've killed the tie off we can let Fernandinho, Walker and Dias dish some heavy stuff out to their players.

Right, rant over. I thought the first half was fascinating. Pep got the tactics spot on - early press, sit a bit deeper and soak up the pressure. It was risky, but they blew themselves out in that half. We got caught by a superb set piece by them and for a while I was worried they'd get another. But we rode it out till half time. First half, PSG looked very impressive but they only played well in the game for 60 minutes or so and after that they looked tired. Towards the end I thought we'd get another they were rocking. If there was another 10 minutes to the game, they would've conceded another. I do think their problem will always be they don't come up against many decent teams whereas we play Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea, Spurs and United several times a season.

Second half began like the first finished and I was glad Cancelo went off. Cancelo has reverted to how he was back in October and is a liability at the moment at right back or left back. Zinchenko is our best left back, simple as that. I do find it astonishing how much form Cancelo and Sterling have lost within a couple of months. For me, both shouldn't be played again this season.

The goas from KdB came at the right time. BT were making out it was lucky, but if you put the ball where he did, the keeper is in trouble and we deserved the goal. That's what half og these pundits don't realise - if the ball is good, if you get a touch the keeper has no chance. That's how they got their first goal and our goal was similar but the keeper expected Stones to touch it but he didn't. If he'd have dived where it went in and Stones had tapped it in they'd be slating him.

The free kick was sublime - who expected that? After that it was one way traffic and it could easily have finished 3/4 to us. In the second leg I'd like to see Foden in the middle as when that lad gets the ball, they don't know what to do.

Overall, I thought Walker was MOTM. Used his pace and physicality well. Dias and Stones did well - was Mbappe playing? After a shaky start Rodri grew into the game. Gundogan was tidy and I hope he's able to play after that leg-breaker. Bernardo was everywhere. He is absolutely superb and his attitude is immense on the pitch. KdB and Mahrez provided the magic - that's the difference at this level.

It was another CL game we came from behind on and won and I think the team will be over the moon with that. We're in a great position in the 2nd leg and I hope we can keep a clean sheet.

In the end, the annoying thing is we are only 1 goal up, but I guess they will be annoyed they didn't get a couple in the first half. It's set up to be a fascinating 2nd leg. Give me football from Pep and Pochettino everyday over that played by Simeone and Mourinho!

A really good night tonight and a big, big test for the team which we passed. Pep and the players will have had a real boost from this!! I honestly think this is our year and we will kick ourselves about the FA Cup!

COME ON CITY!!

Thought we were too cautious in the first half keeping our fullbacks in position which has a knock on in the numbers in midfield. In the second half Pep allowed them more freedom to move forward which gave us complete control. Great job done, let's hope more of the same in the second leg.

Wow what a stat that is
But
I don't think their heads will go. They need a 2-1 to level it. And they will have a week to get their heads around what they have to do. They were 1-0 up and buzzing and it quickly turned. Now the situation is very different.

This is a side that can definitely score 2 goals in 2 minutes. They have genius in them.

We really must not get cocky. All we have got is a 1 goal lead in what will be a long 90 minutes.
Yes but who would you rather be right now? PSG are 2-1 down with the away leg to play, that has to favour us rather than them. Even if we were 2-1 down, with the away goal I'd still say we had a good chance. we can score 2 in 2 minutes too and, well, they couldn't tonight.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.