Parking Charge Notice advice

A quick Google search only resulted in people on forums etc saying it was a made up legal sounding name owned by the same company.

They never bothered me again after chucking the scary worded letter in the bin anyway.

I’d forgotten about it until now.
The Beavis case in 2017 changed all that.
Up til then you were fairly safe ignoring but once the law let them go after the registered owner and not the driver it gave the parking companies carte Blanche.

The Beavis case in 2017 changed all that.
Up til then you were fairly safe ignoring but once the law let them go after the registered owner and not the driver it gave the parking companies carte Blanche.

My run-in with the pricks was roughly around then, maybe it was before, can’t remember exactly. The last couple of years has completely screwed with me sense of time - I keep thinking we’re in 2020!

How would them being able to go after the registered keeper and not the driver affect binning it though? They’d have to pay to take it to court and surely it’s not worth doing?

I’m no expert though…

Not rubbing it in mate just think it is a peril of working in town - a knightmare getting in bus lanes etc. I am driving across town several times a day and it is fucking impossible not to get them. My point was most private companies dont seem to take you to court for private parking offences so dont shit it when they send threatening letters - vast majority are not subject to high court action.
Yep, I got a ticket from a private company called Parking Eye in a Holiday Inn Car Park in Maidstone a couple of years ago. I was in there for about 10 minutes in the dark with very poor lighting, I was dropping a part off for an engineer who made me wait because he was having his breakfast. I appealed the £100 fine and this was rejected so I sent them another email, this was my defence:

The engineer was staying at the hotel so was entitled to a free car park space (there were 2 of them in one van)

The car park was poorly lit

The sign was not highly visible

I was there for such a short time £100 was not reasonable

I would counteract against them if they didn’t cancel the charge

Heard fuck all from them so used my second email address to tell them what a bunch of charlatan cunts they were, childish but cathartic.

Don’t pay it mate. Firstly do you still have the ticket with the wrong reg on it? If so appeal the fine and photocopy the ticket you purchased. They will reject your appeal.

They will then write several threat-o-grams - once they threaten court explain to them your defence will be that there has been no loss to the landowner (as you paid) thus there is no tort of trespass or whatever they are going after you for. You will also need to mention that they should have checks and balances in place to see that no car entered the car park at that time with the reg you entered. This is part of their regulators code of conduct.

They will ignore your defence and issue court papers, file your defence online as per what you submitted to them. They won’t pay the court fee or respond to your defence and the case will be dismissed, you are then free to issue a cost claim against them for around £250 for your time and effort.

These firms abuse the court system and only pay the court fee if you don’t contest it. I’ve won a few times doing this where I’ve done exactly what you’ve done - when I’ve fucked up and parked and not paid correctly I’ve always paid the fine as it’s a “fair cop”. These firms are scum and play the numbers game.

Of course if you don’t have the parking ticket it will be a bit harder but as you paid on card you’ll still be able to show no loss.

The car reg is right the machine said I had to pay £1:50 although the correct price should gave been 4quid something. I couldnt see on their board how to correct their mistake. So I paid the £1:50 in good faith as I thought this might be the out of season charge.

I still the ticket for the payment I made. I was more than happy to pay the 4quid but didn't how to ! .
The same with my other Cornwall parking fine, I went to the match and was under the impression payment had been taken.

I dont see how a missed 3quid parking can be 100quid fine.

The car reg is right the machine said I had to pay £1:50 although the correct price should gave been 4quid something. I couldnt see on their board how to correct their mistake. So I paid the £1:50 in good faith as I thought this might be the out of season charge.

I still the ticket for the payment I made. I was more than happy to pay the 4quid but didn't how to ! .
The same with my other Cornwall parking fine, I went to the match and was under the impression payment had been taken.

Ah ok mate, sorry I misunderstood. In that case they can show loss and take you to court on that basis.

Your defence is the machine failed to let you pay the amount you wanted to, I suspect they’ll point to any signs that have a contact number in the event of difficulties in paying but in the absence of such signs you’d probably stand a chance. It’s worth an appeal in any case but I think if turned down you’ll have to just take the hit as annoying as that is.

I got a PCN for parking a few inches across a white line in an almost empty Trafford Council car park back in June.
I appealed on the grounds that the shitehawk warden was stood a few feet from me when I parked and he watched me park then walk off, he banged a pcn on the windscreen within 3 minutes of me getting my ticket from the machine.
I heard nothing back from the Council within a month so I paid the reduced penalty as it only says they 'may' accept a reduced penalty if your appeal fails.
60 days later I wrote to the Council telling them they had exceeded the 56 day statutory guidance.
They then dismissed my appeal and said the warden never saw me..
I lodged an official complaint to Trafford Council who have still not replied 30 days after they say the will respond.
They really should not fuck with me I'm a pensioner and I do hold grudges.

I contested one with MET Parking (another bunch of cowboys) 3 or 4 years ago and won. Golden rule no.1. Admit nothing. Don't go down the 'I didn't see the sign', 'I was only a couple of mins late' etc, as in doing so you are acknowledging you were there. The 'Money Saving Expert' website used to run a forum dedicated to constructing appeals against these bullshit fines, and they provide free guidance. I got mine overturned because MET Parking hadn't worded their charge correctly (the charges had to have a clause relating to POFA - the Protection of Freedoms Act? - and had to be issued within a particular timeframe), and they opted not to contest my appeal to the Ombudsman, so it never got as far as Court.
I'm not sure to what degree the Beavis judgment has affected the chances of success, but it might be worth having a look on the MSE site. I wouldn't have known where to start without their help.
It was a load of aggro and took a fair bit of crafting, but it was worth it not to pay those thieving twats £90 or whatever it was.....

Yep, I got a ticket from a private company called Parking Eye in a Holiday Inn Car Park in Maidstone a couple of years ago. I was in there for about 10 minutes in the dark with very poor lighting, I was dropping a part off for an engineer who made me wait because he was having his breakfast. I appealed the £100 fine and this was rejected so I sent them another email, this was my defence:

The engineer was staying at the hotel so was entitled to a free car park space (there were 2 of them in one van)

The car park was poorly lit

The sign was not highly visible

I was there for such a short time £100 was not reasonable

I would counteract against them if they didn’t cancel the charge

Heard fuck all from them so used my second email address to tell them what a bunch of charlatan cunts they were, childish but cathartic.
would you be so kind as to set up another email address and ensure they got the message from your 2nd email

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.