Parliametary motion tabled by Withington MP - 3pm cup finals

JGL07 said:
Matty said:
paulchapo said:
I am almost sure that the FA have said already that after this season this will be the case once more.
I hadn't heard that, all I've heard is the FA defend their 5:15 kickoff choice with spurious and annoying quotes.

I simply do not believe that a 5:15pm kickoff will generate a higher TV audience than a 3:00pm start. It will be less favourable for the middle east and the far east which is where most of the growth in audience is coming from.

It could never be at 3:00pm unless it was the last match of the season as it could not be televised live. It is up to the PL and the FA to sort things out.

If the FA and FIFA/UEFA could drop one of their meaningless international breaks there would be no problem finishing the season in time.

The timing is to do with the domestic programming schedule rather than the Far East. A 5:15 KO normally finishes around 7:30pm (assuming no extra time). That's just in time for Britain's Got Talent which means they get a big domestic audience for the Cup Final who then (in theory) stay tuned for BGT. This means the TV company can generate more advertising revenue for the break between the two. I assume they will pay the FA more for that.

If they have a 3pm KO then it finishes around 5:30pm, just in time for You've Been Framed, which surely nobody watches any more and so everyone switches off and does other things.

ESPN An American TV broadcaster,dictating the KO time to suit American viewers.

Prestwich_Blue said:
JGL07 said:
Matty said:
I hadn't heard that, all I've heard is the FA defend their 5:15 kickoff choice with spurious and annoying quotes.

I simply do not believe that a 5:15pm kickoff will generate a higher TV audience than a 3:00pm start. It will be less favourable for the middle east and the far east which is where most of the growth in audience is coming from.

It could never be at 3:00pm unless it was the last match of the season as it could not be televised live. It is up to the PL and the FA to sort things out.

If the FA and FIFA/UEFA could drop one of their meaningless international breaks there would be no problem finishing the season in time.

The timing is to do with the domestic programming schedule rather than the Far East. A 5:15 KO normally finishes around 7:30pm (assuming no extra time). That's just in time for Britain's Got Talent which means they get a big domestic audience for the Cup Final who then (in theory) stay tuned for BGT. This means the TV company can generate more advertising revenue for the break between the two. I assume they will pay the FA more for that.

If they have a 3pm KO then it finishes around 5:30pm, just in time for You've Been Framed, which surely nobody watches any more and so everyone switches off and does other things.

The point is that it cannot be held at 3:00pm during the normal season as it would not be able to be televised live.

Hence it will have to be around 12:30 or circa 5:15pm. Obviously there will be higher TV audiences for the latter.

The FA Cup should be the final match of the normal top division season and was so for many years.

UEFA have taken so many weekend slots for CL and EL and FIFA/UEFA/FA taken so many weekend and midweek slots for internationals that it is very hard to schedule. The final point is that UEFA are now scheduling the CL final on a Saturday and banning any domestic football that day reducing the options still further.

Doubtful espn would put America above anyone else as its shown on fox there, and 400,000 people watched it last year

I personally think the kick off time isn't the main issue, the main issue is no more trains after 9:00pm to accommodate match going fans. If the last train was 11:00pm I don't think we would be discussing the kickoff time ! Between the FA, The broadcasters and both clubs they should make sure that trains are running at suitable times to ensure anybody that chooses to travel by train, that they can do.
This goverment has been harping on for years about not using your cars and use public transport instead !! But they forget to state that this doesn't count for FA cup semi and final days.

paulchapo said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
paulchapo said:
I am almost sure that the FA have said already that after this season this will be the case once more.

what? that it will revert back to 3pm or will continue early evening?

It will go back to 3pm the last game of the season.

No chance mate, along with the usual excuse next year what else can they come up with, surely they wont say, as so many players from the prem need to join their country squads for the world cup we have decided...........

Blue and Proud said:
Agree that it should be 3pm but I do wish that politicians would keep out of something that is clearly an issue between fans, the clubs, the sponsors and the FA. It just stinks of political opportunism timed to coincide with local elections. I am sure there are far more pressing issues affecting more constituents in Withington than the time a bloody football match kicks off!!!
no local elections this year.

The reply I received from the FA this morning to my complaint about the KO time:

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting the Football Association.

In relation to the information announced for the kick-off time of The FA Cup with Budweiser Final, The FA would like to highlight that 5.15pm is a regular kick-off time in the football calendar within England and across Europe.

The kick-off time is unchanged from last year and this allows more football fans around the country to watch The Cup Final in its entirety, this opinion is enhanced by the domestic viewing figures for last year’s FA Cup Final, shown on ITV and ESPN, recorded a combined peak in-home audience of 11.7m people in the UK.

Whilst I can appreciate your situation, the confirmed time was made in agreement with local and national policing services as well as the transport bodies.

We do appreciate all of the feedback we receive from supporters. This feedback is collated and used to build a picture of public opinion and is subsequently fed back internally within the organisation. Please rest assured your comments will form part of this feedback process.

Best wishes,
Tracey Bates

tago_mago said:
Blue and Proud said:
Agree that it should be 3pm but I do wish that politicians would keep out of something that is clearly an issue between fans, the clubs, the sponsors and the FA. It just stinks of political opportunism timed to coincide with local elections. I am sure there are far more pressing issues affecting more constituents in Withington than the time a bloody football match kicks off!!!
no local elections this year.
OK but my point being that valuable parliamentary time should not be taken up by such trivial matters when there are so many other things our politicians should be putting right.

Blue and Proud said:

He's speaking on behalf of many of his constituents, no doubt, although I'm not saying he doesn't have some self-interest.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.