Passport stolen in Istanbul

MCFCOK2305

Team supported
Manchester City
Hi guys, i know everyones pussed up tonight but just a query

My passport been stolen Just spent last 10 hours in Istanbul airport was supposed to fly back at 2pm. Got to security around 12 where the panic of having no passport in my bag began.

Not once EVER have I come to losing it, I’m not making any accusations but considering the hundreds of flights Ive made over the border every month to follow @mancity, its pretty obvious this wasn’t on my part.

Left the hotel today in Yenakapi at 10am with my mate, he was going SAW airport so I got on M2 metro at 10:55am to Sisli. Got off, hopped in a cab with a blue to the airport going to Antalya (didnt get his or taxi details as he was in a rush - gentleman). I was ready to just board as normal, like i always do

Get to security around 12pm, empty out my bag to no passport. First thing i do is accept I am not making my flights, tough pill to swallow.

I then took the steps to see how I can get home, I was sent my embassy officer in Ireland/Turkey to get a stolen passport form from the police in order to get an emergency travel card or temporary passport. Not one police officer had a standard of english to communicate with me, they kept refusing me saying that because it wasn’t stolen in the airport, they wouldn’t print the form for me.

Only for an Irish embassy officer calling me over phone with a Turkish/english speaking liaising officer was I to have any chance of getting this form. Stress levels are through the roof at this stage, went on for hours in a little police room with no english. One officer was nice and sorted me out, but only because the turkish speaking liaising officer sent my irish embassy helped me out.

The solution for this is laughable. Istanbul has not got any embassy or consulate, therefore I now have to travel to Ankara tomorrow first thing just to receive a temporary passport to get home. And then I cant even fly home from there, I have to fly back to Istanbul, kip in the airport for 2nd night running for a 10am flight to Dublin next morning, which cost me £500 on top of the £300 flights I missed out on today.

Ive been shipped around from one stall to another for the last 10 hours, completely stressed and frankly broke. No solutions, barely any help, one assistance worker moving me on to the next every 10 mins and barely anything left in my bank.

Feel free to laugh but I am laughing too, to make matters even worse one of my payment cards was in my passport so now thats frozen. City winning the treble feels a distant memory to this mess, all I can do is laugh it off but a horrible 48 hours ahead of me now , on top of the last 10 hours….. turkey and istanbul is a no go for me again.

I will accept if I have genuinely lost it, but after being on 234 flights since August 2021, I very much doubt it. And now out of pocket completely.

Last edited:
Best is to get in touch with the British consulate and arrange a replacement. Take’s just 48 hours to get a temporary passport.
Hopefully, travel insurance will cover the additional cost incurred.

Hi guys

My mates passport been stolen, he goes everywhere following City Irish lad 21 years nd Just spent last 10 hours in Istanbul airport: Re: was supposed to fly back at 2pm. Got to security around 12 where the panic of having no passport in my bag began.

Not once EVER have I come to losing it, I’m not making any accusations but considering the hundreds of flights Ive made over the border every month to follow @mancity, its pretty obvious this wasn’t on my part.

Left the hotel today in Yenakapi at 10am with my mate, he was going SAW airport so I got on M2 metro at 10:55am to Sisli. Got off, hopped in a cab with a blue to the airport going to Antalya (didnt get his or taxi details as he was in a rush - gentleman). I was ready to just board as normal, like i always do

Get to security around 12pm, empty out my bag to no passport. First thing i do is accept I am not making my flights, tough pill to swallow.

I then took the steps to see how I can get home, I was sent my embassy officer in Ireland/Turkey to get a stolen passport form from the police in order to get an emergency travel card or temporary passport. Not one police officer had a standard of english to communicate with me, they kept refusing me saying that because it wasn’t stolen in the airport, they wouldn’t print the form for me.

Only for an Irish embassy officer calling me over phone with a Turkish/english speaking liaising officer was I to have any chance of getting this form. Stress levels are through the roof at this stage, went on for hours in a little police room with no english. One officer was nice and sorted me out, but only because the turkish speaking liaising officer sent my irish embassy helped me out.

The solution for this is laughable. Istanbul has not got any embassy or consulate, therefore I now have to travel to Ankara tomorrow first thing just to receive a temporary passport to get home. And then I cant even fly home from there, I have to fly back to Istanbul, kip in the airport for 2nd night running for a 10am flight to Dublin next morning, which cost me £500 on top of the £300 flights I missed out on today.

Ive been shipped around from one stall to another for the last 10 hours, completely stressed and frankly broke. No solutions, barely any help, one assistance worker moving me on to the next every 10 mins and barely anything left in my bank.

Feel free to laugh but I am laughing too, to make matters even worse one of my payment cards was in my passport so now thats frozen. City winning the treble feels a distant memory to this mess, all I can do is laugh it off but a horrible 48 hours ahead of me now , on top of the last 10 hours….. turkey and istanbul is a no go for me again.

I will accept if I have genuinely lost it, but after being on 234 flights since August 2021, I very much doubt it. And now out of pocket completely.

Here is tweet

That's shit mate, hope it works out ok, as someone said you might claim on insurance for flights and a hotel ?

Seems ridiculous that one cannot obtain an Emergency Travel Document from any EU embassy/consulate in Istanbul; part of being in the Union is that you should be able to utilise the services of other Member States. Ireland seems to have its representation in Ankara, Izmir, and Antalya. From reading other consular services, however, it appears that the individual applicant must appear in person at his respective embassy/consulate. Good luck.

Best is to get in touch with the British consulate and arrange a replacement. Take’s just 48 hours to get a temporary passport.
Hopefully, travel insurance will cover the additional cost incurred.
It's not a British/UK passport matter, it's an Irish one n he's stated, to get it sorted he has to travel to Ankara in the morning cos Ireland doesn't have a Embassy/Consulate in that there Istanbul.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.