Past Managers you would have liked to see at City

They arguably didn’t qualify for four successive World Cups!

Tough route to qualify for 1978 tbf.
Good point,forgot about 66 and 70.
Cloughie won the league with newly promoted Forest in 77/78.
I'm sure he could have got us to Argentina but we'll never know and he knew he would never be offered the job.

Rewatched the Damned United just before the game today. Great entertaining film but I think Sheen plays it on a bit thick with all his Cloughie schtick. Loved Tim Spall as Peter Taylor though. Being only a toddler at the time were Revie's Leeds all that dominant? The mousers, Wolves, Derby and us must have been in the mix?

Really sad that there is no way a small provincial team could win the league and then 2 European Cups in successive years now. I vaguely remember the 1980 final v Hamburg but cannot recall their style of play. Like all managers Clough had a specific shelf life but he'd have been a hell of ride in the 70s or 80s! Would he have had tactical flexibility or been able to identify players in the game today? Who knows but he would have improved the national team I think.

Revie
Rewatched the Damned United just before the game today. Great entertaining film but I think Sheen plays it on a bit thick with all his Cloughie schtick. Loved Tim Spall as Peter Taylor though. Being only a toddler at the time were Revie's Leeds all that dominant? The mousers, Wolves, Derby and us must have been in the mix?

Really sad that there is no way a small provincial team could win the league and then 2 European Cups in successive years now. I vaguely remember the 1980 final v Hamburg but cannot recall their style of play. Like all managers Clough had a specific shelf life but he'd have been a hell of ride in the 70s or 80s! Would he have had tactical flexibility or been able to identify players in the game today? Who knows but he would have improved the national team I think.
Revie's Leeds took no prisoners. They were a brilliantly organised side with the right mix of hard men / skilful players for the time (ie 6 or 7 thugs plus 4 or 5 quality footballers). They were horrible to watch unless you were a Leeds fan, and probably just as horrible to play against.
Clough wasn't up to the job - the senior players ran the show after Revie left.

. Being only a toddler at the time were Revie's Leeds all that dominant? The mousers, Wolves, Derby and us must have been in the mix?
From 1965 to 1974 (ten seasons) their average league placing was 2.3, which was astonishing for the time. ‘Only‘ won the league twice in that period, so their dominance has to be qualified, I guess.

I do sometimes wonder about the parallel world where we sack Pellegrini after the 14/15 season and don't hang on for a year.

No gripe at all mate. Just saying that he's hugely overrated as a manager. He got lucky as a young manager, had a few good young players at Watford when he arrived and gave them a chance. The club had low/no expectations and he had no pressure to deliver. Applied a standard tactic of punting a long ball up to a big centre forward and knock-downs to speedy wingers/full backs. He never really changed that 'system' from Div 4 to 2nd in 1st division and made very few tweaks in players over that time.

Would have probably worked wonders with Niall Quinn and David White

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.