Past Managers you would have liked to see at City

Don Revie was a name that was bandied around when I started watching City. When Les McDowall left was probably too late to get Revie. At the time City had been in decline for some years and relegated while Leeds were on the way up.

However a couple of years earlier, had City dumped Les, he may have been an option. He played for City more than any other club and won his only playing honours with City.

While Revie won trophies with Leeds, his playing style was not the best. He was far too dour and encouraged thuggish play. Having said that, most of his team - in particular Eddie Gray, Peter Lorimer, and Allan Clarke - could play if they chose to. On balance, I think we dodged one there.

Brian Clough could well have fitted in and did departure from Derby occurred at much the same time as Allison leaving for Palace. Clough would certainly have come to City in preference to Brighton.

The question would have been how the relationship with Swales would have worked out. Swales only became chairman in 1973 and I can see Clough wiping the floor with the Cuban-heeled one especially if he was delivering on the field.

Ferguson was not really a viable option to survive at City. He took four to five years to start winning things. He would never have lasted that long with Swales who by then was well established at City. Ferguson would not have survived at United for that amount with subsequent chairmen.

Player power got rid of ron saunders ,brian clough wouldn't of lasted long , would of ended just like his time at leeds .
Agreed, could not imagine Cloghie and Swales in the same room, that would have been entertaining!

Rinus Michels for me.. total football..managed the great Holland team. Closest thing to Pep which is no bad thing.
As for Ferguson being mentioned, 38 trophies in 26 years..Pep has 10 for us in 5 years.. extrapolate from that. Am sorry, but the thought of Baconface ever being at City and even being discussed as such is so wrong.Busby I could go with as he played for City, and lived in Chorlton. Not Ferguson ,ever, for the way he mocked our club.

A second division manager at best. Despite favourable public opinion/memories, Taylor was not the most pleasant of characters - Couldn't handle big players and had too many 'favourites' to be able to manage a genuinely 'top' club. He believed the hype and thought he was a lot better than he was. He was found out with England.

Watford, runners-up Division 1 in 1982-83 (we got relegated) FA Cup Final 1984, Aston Villa promotion in 1987-88 and runners-up in Division 1 1989-90. I'm sure the negatives could be applied to most Managers if required and we wouldn't have attracted many really 'big name' players at the time anyway

Watford, runners-up Division 1 in 1982-83 (we got relegated) FA Cup Final 1984, Aston Villa promotion in 1987-88 and runners-up in Division 1 1989-90. I'm sure the negatives could be applied to most Managers if required and we wouldn't have attracted many really 'big name' players at the time anyway
He was bang average. Kick and rush 2nd division stuff was his bread and butter. Would have been laughed out of City in a month.

I'm well aware of that, but I'm also well aware of what an arrogant twat he was. He had no idea about player succession, just kept hoping his favourites would keep going until he moved on.
Kick and rush.

Look, I have no gripe with you and I don't know much about Graham Taylor 'the man' but you don't get from the 4th Division to runners-up in Division 1 in the space of a few years without knowing a thing or 2 about player succession

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.