Patrick Roberts | Sold to Sunderland

Good Luck at Sunderland. This is a good move for him because Sunderland are a genuine sleeping giant. He was such an exciting young player and it's sad that it didn't work out for him at City. I think going to Scotland was a mistake although he did very well there. He needed to prove himself at a higher level of football. It would not surprise me if in two or three seasons we see Patrick Roberts playing in the Premier League for Sunderland. I haven't seen him play for a long time but as a young player he was very exciting. Not the quickest of wide forwards but as skilful as any.
He is a sleeping rich midget, his original move to Celtic was brilliant, the mistake he made was not listening to his parent club who wanted him to test him in a far higher standard league, he bottled it and wanted to go back to Celtic.

I wish him well but he has himself to blame for much of his career stall.

While I agree that his second year at Celtic was clearly ill-advised, I think its fair to say that he really hasn't set the world alight and I don't recall the last time a top flight team came sniffing for him, which says its own story, seems like he is going to have a career a little like Terry Cooke did, won't be at all surprised if he ends up playing in the US too

Funny that City are being the bad guys again in the media when it comes to Roberts. The question should probably be how many successful careers our academy has created, albeit most for obvious reasons will not be with City.

While I agree that his second year at Celtic was clearly ill-advised, I think its fair to say that he really hasn't set the world alight and I don't recall the last time a top flight team came sniffing for him, which says its own story, seems like he is going to have a career a little like Terry Cooke did, won't be at all surprised if he ends up playing in the US too

I mean…name another industry where you still get paid millions and millions for being average at your job.

Good luck to the lad, and I’ve got a soft spot for Sunderland so hope they can get a tune out of him and get promoted.

I mean…name another industry where you still get paid millions and millions for being average at your job.

Good luck to the lad, and I’ve got a soft spot for Sunderland so hope they can get a tune out of him and get promoted.
The whole argument with regards how much sports people get paid is a much wider debate. However average is a relative term when you consider how many players don't even make it to play professionally, making it to his level makes him better than anyone we are likely to meet in our daily lives.

Good Luck at Sunderland. This is a good move for him because Sunderland are a genuine sleeping giant. He was such an exciting young player and it's sad that it didn't work out for him at City. I think going to Scotland was a mistake although he did very well there. He needed to prove himself at a higher level of football. It would not surprise me if in two or three seasons we see Patrick Roberts playing in the Premier League for Sunderland. I haven't seen him play for a long time but as a young player he was very exciting. Not the quickest of wide forwards but as skilful as any.
Common misconception in my opinion. A lot of players go from english football up to scotland and barely lay a dent in the league. They go up thinking they'll breeze it but find out its a lot more competitive and fast paced than they thought.
This is someone who watches a lot of scottish football and seen far too many championship/league 1 level players come up here and leave a few months later.

This is someone who watches a lot of scottish football and seen far too many championship/league 1 level players come up here and leave a few months later.
I guess the point was when the club signed him they had hoped he won't end up at Championship/League One level. Bottom-line is though when you sign potential it is exactly that potential there is always a risk, I'm sure if both parties could go back 5 years the move from Fulham wouldn't have happened, but it doesn't mean its anyone's fault

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.