Paul Gascoigne

Played against Gazza in my school days in the county cup semi final. He missed the 1st game as away with England schoolboys. We were winning 1 0 until the last minute when they equalized. This game was played in a blizzard as our teacher said we had no chance of beating them with him in the team. In the replay at Dunston I was given the job of man marking him. They won 5 2. He scored 4 and set up the other.
Years later, when he was playing in Italy and was injured I met him in Florida. We were both in the que for the ET ride at Warner Brothers studios. I was getting my picture taken with him when a young girl walked past and said to her parents "look there's Gazza and Jimmy 5 Bellies". Started a diet the next day.

Congratulations.

You played against best english player ever.

I think saying I played is a stretch. I ran around a field chasing someone

So... I do not agree why when we talk about best players ever (Messi, Cruyff, Maldini, Maradona, Nazario, Dinho, Zidane, Platini, etc) we don't say Gascoigne or Mágico González.

"They didn't win trophies. They didn't play on big teams. They were fucking drunks...".

??? And? What?

Paul Gascoigne on one single nail had more football than players who won three Champions Leagues.

He was a machine in every sense of the game. Same for Mágico González. Footballers with superhuman potential.

So... I do not agree why when we talk about best players ever (Messi, Cruyff, Maldini, Maradona, Nazario, Dinho, Zidane, Platini, etc) we don't say Gascoigne or Mágico González.

"They didn't win trophies. They didn't play on big teams. They were fucking drunks...".

??? And? What?

Paul Gascoigne on one single nail had more football than players who won three Champions Leagues.

He was a machine in every sense of the game. Same for Mágico González. Footballers with superhuman potential.
Do you think longevity might come into it?

All the players you mentioned were at the top far longer than Gascogne, as talented as he was

Do you think longevity might come into it?

All the players you mentioned were at the top far longer than Gascogne, as talented as he was

No... some of those players had only three good years. Maradona is 4 matches in World Cup and 2 or 3 years in Napoli. Dinho 3 good years in Barcelona. Nazario is 1 year in Barcelona, 1 good year in Inter, World Cup in 2002, and in Real Madrid 2 good years.

It's more the club and that he didn't win trophies. And he was an outcast. Worse than Maradona, that he was a very unstable man, he had moments when he was good and moments when he was very bad. He has an interview in 1992 or so where he is a normal person. A serious and coherent man. Then it went down and up. When he was on a cleaning their body at some detox clinic, he was stable. Although in a few months he became ill again.

Gascoigne was always an addict all his life.

No... some of those players had only three good years. Maradona is 4 matches in World Cup and 2 or 3 years in Napoli. Dinho 3 good years in Barcelona. Nazario is 1 year in Barcelona, 1 good year in Inter, World Cup in 2002, and in Real Madrid 2 good years.

It's more the club and that he didn't win trophies. And he was an outcast. Worse than Maradona, that he was a very unstable man, he had moments when he was good and moments when he was very bad. He has an interview in 1992 or so where he is a normal person. A serious and coherent man. Then it went down and up. When he was on a cleaning their body at some detox clinic, he was stable. Although in a few months he became ill again.

Gascoigne was always an addict all his life.
I’ve never heard of Dinho nor Nazario.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.