Paul Lake - part 2 of interview P6

In fairness to the physio (Eamonn Salmon I think it was) he had to travel back a week before Lakey did so they didn't travel back together in different classes.

Thanks. I didn't know that. Presumably he thought Lakey would be in first class, too.

EDIT - Still a disgrace on the club's part, though.

Last edited:
I had the great pleasure to follow the City FA Youth cup winners in '86, went to every game bar one, Lakey played up front and incredibly looked lost and a bit of a lump to be honest.

So watching him to progress into the first team and become a wonderful, elegant footballer that made the game look so easy was a huge and pleasant surprise.

What happened was a tragedy and sums up the club under the stewardship of P.J.Swales, the sky would have been the limit for Paul Lake but even if that horrible injury had not occurred, Swales would have sold him on.

As others have said, his performances at CB were majestic, he was a total baller.

Never saw Paul play (or at least remember it). First football memories were Italia 90 as a 5 year old. Step-father always talked about him fondly and what a player he'd have been. Heart-breaking how his career was effectively cut short before it even started. People talk about Bell's injury but at least he was 29 and in a way had already accomplished so much and fit in enough to have what could be considered a very successful career already. Wonder if they'd have both returned to the same level had the injuries occurred today.

I had the great pleasure to follow the City FA Youth cup winners in '86, went to every game bar one, Lakey played up front and incredibly looked lost and a bit of a lump to be honest.

So watching him to progress into the first team and become a wonderful, elegant footballer that made the game look so easy was a huge and pleasant surprise.

What happened was a tragedy and sums up the club under the stewardship of P.J.Swales, the sky would have been the limit for Paul Lake but even if that horrible injury had not occurred, Swales would have sold him on.

As others have said, his performances at CB were majestic, he was a total baller.
Completely agree with your first comment.
I went to all the home games and rags away in the final (which game did you miss?)

The previous seasons team with Earl Barrett, John Beresford and Darren Beckford I felt was slightly better. Lakey coming in at number 9 and up front I just didn't get. He appeared too gangly legged to me!
But then the following season, he was one of 5 of the squad available for the youth cup (Hinchcliffe, Mills, Macauley and Clarke) and now he seemed to come of age - I recall a Saturday lunch time replay at Maine Road v Wigan (freezing cold January) and in particular the semi final 2nd leg v Coventry where Lakey single handedly won both games (though we lost a 3rd play off game to Cov after a 1-1 aggregate score).
And then he seemed to move back into midfield or defence and the further back he went the better he was.....

Without a doubt Swales would have sold him on - 100%. Ferguson without a doubt would have been in for him at United. I'm not convinced when people say Swales wouldn't have sold Lakey to United. He would have sold to the highest bidder and in that era it would have been United.

Completely agree with your first comment.
I went to all the home games and rags away in the final (which game did you miss?)

The previous seasons team with Earl Barrett, John Beresford and Darren Beckford I felt was slightly better. Lakey coming in at number 9 and up front I just didn't get. He appeared too gangly legged to me!
But then the following season, he was one of 5 of the squad available for the youth cup (Hinchcliffe, Mills, Macauley and Clarke) and now he seemed to come of age - I recall a Saturday lunch time replay at Maine Road v Wigan (freezing cold January) and in particular the semi final 2nd leg v Coventry where Lakey single handedly won both games (though we lost a 3rd play off game to Cov after a 1-1 aggregate score).
And then he seemed to move back into midfield or defence and the further back he went the better he was.....
I missed the rags away tie, gutted.

Out of all those players I though Lakey was one of the weakest, just goes to show how young players develop at different rates and that youth football is so difficult to judge the caliber of a player.

Without a doubt Swales would have sold him on - 100%. Ferguson without a doubt would have been in for him at United. I'm not convinced when people say Swales wouldn't have sold Lakey to United. He would have sold to the highest bidder and in that era it would have been United.
All about the cash with PJ, he would happily have sold him to the rags, although I am sure Lake would have had none of it !

Reactions: PPT
Split up with a special girlfriend the same week Lakey got injured against Villa. The two events became entwined. Was always hoping he would come back. Being more or less the same age as him, the end of his career seemed to represent the end of adolescence and the entry into the concerns of proper adult life. Great to see he has managed to live with all that disappointment and now does work suitable for his talent. Why did it have to be him and Michael Johnson who got done by injuries when there were so many others who (while we wouldn't wish it on them) would have gone unmissed? Probably 'cos City found it crucial to overplay our best youngsters back then.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.