Paul Lake - part 2 of interview P6

Like others, always had a soft spot for Paul and always will, having carried the same injury as him since I was 19, sad to say I pretty much knew he was finished barring a miracle at top level, his injury genuinely gutted me far far more than any other, and to read his book and find out he was put in ‘economy class’ or something on the way back after his Op, don’t think I have the vocabulary to actually do justice to how appalling that was !

And, he genuinely is a really nice lad, I rarely ever say hello to anyone famous, Lakey is one of the few exceptions, I always did when I saw him at Davenport shops, and what’s funny is, he always seemed shocked that someone recognised him, honestly, I’m not sure he realises just how highly he’s regarded by fans of a certain generation, a class act and superb athlete, I’d have loved to have seen what Pep could have done with him today.
Even worse mate, the club physio was given a first class ticket by the club. By Swales. Lakey had to fold his knackered knee into an economy seat.
Even now, after all these years, the treatment of Lakey still reduces me to uncontrolled rage. I cry with frustration and rage every time I read his book.
I hope Swales is rotting and burning in hell..

Paul played three games at centre half when he got injured. The first game of the season Tottenham away when he played well. It was the second game at home to Everton when he brought the ball out of defense and passed to white who crossed for the winning goal. It was against villa he got injured late on. He was man of the match playing against cascarino and winning aerial duels but also consistently covering both fullbacks against Daley and platt. He looked like Alan hanson in only three games. One of the few former players who would improve today's team
Thanks for the info.

Lake was a truly exceptional player. He is also a wonderfully grounded individual who quite easily could have become a bitter and damaged person after injuries ended his career. Imagine having the talent he did then through no thought of your own having it taken away from you because of negligence and penny pinching.

His book is brilliant and there is no self pitying or woe betide me in there. It’s actually a pretty heartbreaking story and even though you know the outcome there was a part of me that was hoping it was going to work out.

Paul lake was the superstar city had that even my friends had heard of in the 80s/90s when I was growing up.

Wonderful footballer and wonderful human being.
Bravo - Great post

People should listen to his audiobook , he reads in a lovely manner, and his memories of the 5-1 are edge of you seat stuff even though we all know the outcome.

Also when he goes on to describe how SAF saved the day when it came to his testimonial made me always respect him.

People should listen to his audiobook , he reads in a lovely manner, and his memories of the 5-1 are edge of you seat stuff even though we all know the outcome.

Also when he goes on to describe how SAF saved the day when it came to his testimonial made me always respect him.
His passion and honestly is first class, just as you'd expect from a first-class person and player.

Part Two out later today

City legend in the making without a doubt, my fav player from that youth cup winners, tho swales would’ve made sure he never became the legend he deserved to be

Even worse mate, the club physio was given a first class ticket by the club. By Swales. Lakey had to fold his knackered knee into an economy seat.
Even now, after all these years, the treatment of Lakey still reduces me to uncontrolled rage. I cry with frustration and rage every time I read his book.
I hope Swales is rotting and burning in hell..
Physio must have been a prick as well. He should know as a physio the damage that could do to Pauls knee but hey ho first class is mint so fuck him.

Last edited:
Physio must have been a prick as well. He should know as a physio the damage that could do to Pauls knee but hey ho first class is mint so fuck him.
In fairness to the physio (Eamonn Salmon I think it was) he had to travel back a week before Lakey did so they didn't travel back together in different classes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.