Paul Power | Thoughts, memories, recollections, ratings?

I was 12 when we played Ipswich and it was one of the best days of my life at that point! Went with my dad and was in the top tier of the stand at the other end. Bedlam! Brilliant.

Hello all, some talk of the Tottingham 1981 cup final replay on another thread. Just wondering what is everyones thoughts on Paul Power. He was a long loyal servant at a time where there was loads of swapping and changing but hes never mentioned when talking about our legends. He stayed with us when we went down, was he THAT loyal or was he not good enough to be sold?? He was a stallwart for us nearly always in the team but never mentioned getting near the England side so just wondering how good he was?

He was skipper when my Dad first started taking me so I thought he was ace (although god knows what "knowledge" that was based on at the time) He also managed to swindle my Dad and I tickets for the Everton FACup QF replay at Maine Road through a mad connection of my mams hairdressing business so Im quite biassed. Just wondered what everyones thoughts are / were on him.

I thought he was a damn decent player, especially when you look at some footage of him, he had a cracking left foot with a hell of a cross and scored some vital goals during our Wembley run in 1981.

He also got himself a move to a pretty damn good Everton side when he left City.

I was too young to really see strengths and weaknesses. I couldnt see beyond the cool tash. Just interested in other peoples thoughts...
Two memories goal away to Everton in the 81 cup run and the semi final goal the same year at Villa Park. Met him at a function at the Etihad when Sven was manager, the function was for the academy and players such as Nedum, Micha and Daniel Sturidge were in attendance along with a lot of city legends Bell, Lee Summerbee, Booth. Such a nice bloke spent 10 mins talking about his time at the club, might of helped that I called him Zico because of that free kick against Villa

As a kid, I thought he was cool ... captain / leader of men, great alliterative name, and magnificent facial hair.

Always tried hard - had a slightly odd way of running, with his arms held out awkwardly. Liked to put his head down & run.

He was decent without being spectacular, but my memory is that he hit a deep vein of form in his 30s, which is when Everton stepped in & bought him. He then played almost every game for a great Everton side who won the league. Which implies he was better than a lot of City fans gave him credit for ?

Went to same school as PP but he was in 6th form when I started - St Augustine’s Sharston. Great goal by PP and a great win in SF v a very good Ipswich team.

I remember my sister used to fancy him…..

Always liked Paul Power. He could play anywhere on left side, but probably best as an attacking full back. Lots of energy, quick, a decent passer, he didn't score many goals, but when he did they mattered - mentioned made of the two in 81 FA Cup run but can also think of away at AC Milan - classic counter attack.

He seemed to be a natural leader, so was an excellent captain to that young 81 side. Stayed with us after first relegation and again his experience was key in Div 2, but the chance for him to go to Everton and challenge for the title instead of fighting relegation again, was too good an opportunity - and I didn't resent him doing so - was glad for him when they won the league.

He was then a good coach and an important part of rebuilding our Academy in the late 90's/00's. So vital part of our history.

Met him when he was managing Man City under 16's when I was a lino. Seemed like a nice chap.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.