Pedestrianising Deansgate?

If the city are going to pedestrianised areas the fucking place needs a ring Rd first. Also do all these new buildings have underground parking. If Deansgate is bei g ripped up then put a carprk under its entirety.

I've never understood why Albert square (in front of the town hall) isnt pedestrianised. I'd do that as well as Deansgate. Would make the place so much nicer. You'd have to be mad to drive around there anyway. I walk up from Deansgate to Piccadily station quite often and I know for a fact it is quicker to walk that in 15mins than drive where you'd be luck to do the same in 25mins.

They're pretty much going to do just that:

Albert-Square-Our-Town-Hall-2.jpg

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/manchester-showcases-car-free-albert-square/

I think it's a nice square anyway, but St. Peter's Sq stole its march. This new project will restore its class and then all of a sudden we have a pretty special genuinely world class part of the city. Piccadilly Gardens just up the road is a royal mess however.

Until public transport becomes fit for purpose in Manchester, and we have some form of oyster card system, it wouldn't work. It would just add pressure onto the already struggling road networks around Deansgate.

Until public transport becomes fit for purpose in Manchester, and we have some form of oyster card system, it wouldn't work. It would just add pressure onto the already struggling road networks around Deansgate.
London buses are brilliant. Oyster card and contactless. Cheap fares too. £1.30 cap I think

London buses are brilliant. Oyster card and contactless. Cheap fares too. £1.30 cap I think
Exactly, if I wanted to get public transport from my home in Urmston to the next City game, it would take me around an hour longer each way and work out only slightly cheaper (less than £1) than driving and parking up near the ground. If I go with a couple of my mates in the car it's considerably cheaper than all of us using public transport.

It's also more expensive than similar public transport in London where the average salary is higher. Makes no sense.

They were going to pedestrianise Deansgate years ago but Kendals threatened to close the shop if they did, then they were a major power in retail so the council backed down. They aint no more, other than the fact we would have to find a new route for of Fourmidables Coaches next May I say lets get on with it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.