Pellegrini Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OB1 said:
The cookie monster said:
OB1 said:
Nice post by Elmo.

Regardless of what level of prescience one had regarding Pellegrini, it was, and to some degree remains, the case that rusing to judgement is a dangerous way to form your views. Too many people seemed to form opinions on the basis of litle knowledge of the man. I can't claim to be an expert on his past but I saw enough of Villareal to mark him out as a man who might be worth having at City.
You like many others on here were unsure abt him early last year
Won sweet fuck all & not really an upgrade,your words
He's proven a lot of folk wrong atm,me included

He wasn't my first choice and my biggest concern was that he hadn't won a meaningful trophy in Europe; however, I thought about it, did some homework, listened to knowledgeable people and decided before he actually joined that I was very happy with the appointment. My "mistake" was that I had Pellegrini the six to ten range of possible replacements for Mancini. Also, 11 months or so ago, I was not into the idea of sacking Bobby in favour of Manny: I liked Mancini and appreciated the fact that he won things; that view steadily changed.

Regardless of any of that, I would have taken my time to judge him. I'm still not rushng into judgement of just how good he is. We need to see some trophies and only time can answer all the questions about Pellegrini. I can imagine what I will have to say about Pellegrini when he has had three seasons in charge but I can't know if I will be right. I am happy to sacrifice te odd trophy if this level of entertainment continues but I hate us losing and I do want lots of silverware.

BTW, you scoffed when I put Wenger in my top three replacements; still scoffing? And let's not go anywhere near Martinez.
It wasn't a dig OB1 your post are pretty decent tbh and a good read,I just keep reading that folk were right abt pellegrini all along,yet the majority on here had their doubts 8 or 9 months ago
As for wenger mate,no I still don't want him and it will be another trophyless season for him
And Martinez is good but hasn't he gone on record saying he would never work for a D.O.F

The cookie monster said:
OB1 said:
The cookie monster said:

He wasn't my first choice and my biggest concern was that he hadn't won a meaningful trophy in Europe; however, I thought about it, did some homework, listened to knowledgeable people and decided before he actually joined that I was very happy with the appointment. My "mistake" was that I had Pellegrini the six to ten range of possible replacements for Mancini. Also, 11 months or so ago, I was not into the idea of sacking Bobby in favour of Manny: I liked Mancini and appreciated the fact that he won things; that view steadily changed.

Regardless of any of that, I would have taken my time to judge him. I'm still not rushng into judgement of just how good he is. We need to see some trophies and only time can answer all the questions about Pellegrini. I can imagine what I will have to say about Pellegrini when he has had three seasons in charge but I can't know if I will be right. I am happy to sacrifice te odd trophy if this level of entertainment continues but I hate us losing and I do want lots of silverware.

BTW, you scoffed when I put Wenger in my top three replacements; still scoffing? And let's not go anywhere near Martinez.
It wasn't a dig OB1 your post are pretty decent tbh and a good read,I just keep reading that folk were right abt pellegrini all along,yet the majority on here had their doubts 8 or 9 months ago
As for wenger mate,no I still don't want him and it will be another trophyless season for him
And Martinez is good but hasn't he gone on record saying he would never work for a D.O.F

Didn't take it as a dig: my position has evolved.

I wouldn't want Wenger now but I'm not so confident that he will be trophyless this year; although I am more concerned about Mourinho.

Don't know if Martinez said that but he'd be a fool if he did or wouldn't consider City if we came knocking one day. However, my point then was that if we were to consider Laudrup, we should also look at Martinez. I don't think either will be asked to takeover when Pellegrini leaves (which I reckon will be no more than five years away) but Martinez' development will be interesting to watch.

The cookie monster said:
OB1 said:
The cookie monster said:

The worse part about these threads and comments you make seems to automatically put you in one camp or the other.

I was not happy with last season but I think Mancini deserved another season to resolve the issues as really the team only needed a little tweaking
and the issues we had were identified and I have no doubt if we had landed his targets (Hazard, RVP, Martinez), we would have retained the league. I am still a huge Mancini fan and am grateful he brought players like Aguero, Yaya and Silva to the club who are undoubtedly the cornerstone of our success.

That does not mean I am against Pellegrini and I still want to see us perform to a higher standard away from home as I still feel their is a huge gulf in comparison to home performances which still needs addressing. The second half of the season will tell us a lot.

Have I been proven right or wrong. Neither, as I was critical of Mancini when I thought something needed addressing (lack of width, Balotelli) similarly I will still critique aspects of the current team and management as I see it.

What I am not a huge fan of is the hypocrisy. When Mancini was manager the trophy count of Mourinho was always highlighted as proof of who is the superior manager but has now been forgotten when comparing Mancini and Pellegrini.

Similarly we have to laud Pellegini now for the improvement in the team and any dissenters are criticised as petty yet those same individuals rarely gave Mancini any credit for the improvement previously.

Personally I like them both and I am enjoying this season, but still will reserve judgement on this season until the away issues have been addressed.

The cookie monster said:
the majority on here had their doubts [about Pellegrini] 8 or 9 months ago

Nothing wrong with that, then or now. As it happens, I thought that Pellegrini would be a decent choice, though he wouldn't have been number one on my list. And while things are - fingers crossed - going well at the moment, it's perfectly fair to say that as things stand we don't have evidence as to just how effective he'll be in terms of managing actually to win stuff. Personally, I believe he'll land us a few trophies before he leaves, but it's still possible that he'll be remembered at City as a manager who played wonderful attacking football but was a nearly man when it came to landing the big prizes.

What I did object to 8 or 9 months ago in the posts of some doubting Pellegrini was that they were so utterly adamant that he didn't have anything even approaching the calibre that a club with our pretensions should seek. If anyone had cared actually to look into his track record, they'd have seen that he was at least a credible candidate for our job who'd most likely fit well into the set up being created by Ferran and Txiki. Some of the people dismissing Manuel's abilities did so in a way that was disrespectful and, I suspect, skewed by their feelings about Mancini.

petrusha said:
The cookie monster said:

Nothing wrong with that, then or now. As it happens, I thought that Pellegrini would be a decent choice, though he wouldn't have been number one on my list. And while things are - fingers crossed - going well at the moment, it's perfectly fair to say that as things stand we don't have evidence as to just how effective he'll be in terms of managing actually to win stuff. Personally, I believe he'll land us a few trophies before he leaves, but it's still possible that he'll be remembered at City as a manager who played wonderful attacking football but was a nearly man when it came to landing the big prizes.

What I did object to 8 or 9 months ago in the posts of some doubting Pellegrini was that they were so utterly adamant that he didn't have anything even approaching the calibre that a club with our pretensions should seek. If anyone had cared actually to look into his track record, they'd have seen that he was at least a credible candidate for our job who'd most likely fit well into the set up being created by Ferran and Txiki. Some of the people dismissing Manuel's abilities did so in a way that was disrespectful and, I suspect, skewed by their feelings about Mancini.
I'm guilty of some of that mate although I've said from day one we will win the league with him,and I've got a few bets to back that up
When we droppd to eighth in the league and bayern had just torn us a new arse he came under fire too,I know I had some doubts then and pointed it out on here
But fair play to the ones who said it will come good and you'll see something very special
How right they were,now let's just see it through and win a shitload of trophies :)

petrusha said:
The cookie monster said:

I would agree with that about disrespecting Pellegrini. Rarely would any manager get the opportunity to manage Real Madrid without having a huge standing within the game and respect of his peers.

I am not sure Mancinis' achievements at this club have been fully respected, by some, which I find even more bizarre seen as he was the manager who broke so many records which had dogged the club for so many years and was at the helm at probably the greatest day in the clubs history.

The cookie monster said:
I'm guilty of some of that mate although I've said from day one we will win the league with him,and I've got a few bets to back that up
When we droppd to eighth in the league and bayern had just torn us a new arse he came under fire too,I know I had some doubts then and pointed it out on here
But fair play to the ones who said it will come good and you'll see something very special
How right they were,now let's just see it through and win a shitload of trophies :)

That's very fair. Hope you're right about winning the title. There seems little doubt that he's under orders to create a signature style that will win the admiration of neutrals, and he's doing that rather well so far, but it can't be at the expense of major prizes. Fingers crossed, then - let's land the LC and then take it from there.

franksinatra said:
I would agree with that about disrespecting Pellegrini. Rarely would any manager get the opportunity to manage Real Madrid without having a huge standing within the game and respect of his peers.

I am not sure Mancinis' achievements at this club have been fully respected, by some, which I find even more bizarre seen as he was the manager who broke so many records which had dogged the club for so many years and was at the helm at probably the greatest day in the clubs history.

I'd agree with that. I certainly thought last season that the time had come to part company with Mancini. However, I started watching City 2 months before the 1976 LC win so I remember the whole of that 35-year trophy drought: the bloke who ended it, landing the first FA Cup and the first league title in my entire lifetime, is always going to have a special place in my heart. Nor do I subscribe to the view that more or less anyone could have matched his achievements given the degree of financial backing. His predecessor, an experienced PL manager who performed creditably in the job he had before joining us, wouldn't have won us a title IMO.

Roberto was what we needed at the time he joined us, and I hope that Manuel will prove to be what we need now. :)

That's very fair. Hope you're right about winning the title. There seems little doubt that he's under orders to create a signature style that will win the admiration of neutrals, and he's doing that rather well so far, but it can't be at the expense of major prizes. Fingers crossed, then - let's land the LC and then take it from there.

I think you may be on to something, commentators and fans of other teams are waxing lyrical about us

Ducado said:

I think you may be on to something, commentators and fans of other teams are waxing lyrical about us

I was thinking about this too. It seemed forever under Mancini there were a problem of some kind in the press, in the dressing room, with the players off the field etc and because of it we were always in the news and usually with a negative slant. Under Pellegrini there seems to be zero controversy's and no off field problems or antics within the dressing room or with the players. On top of that all I read from fans of other clubs and the media is positive things.

It really is a pleasure to be a blue at the moment. Chelsea and Arsenal are doing brilliantly keeping up with this juggernaut.

Anyone notice that on skys sunday suppliment this morning ,that there is no photograph of pellegrini on the walls , but most of the "big " managers have there picture up. Would"nt be an agenda would there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.