Pellegrini's substitutions last night

He takes a lot of flak on here when things go wrong, so it's only fair he gets credit when he gets it right.

Thought his substitutions were very good last night, and won us the game. Taking Toure and Delph off was a brave move, but the introduction of Navas and De Bruyne helped stretch Everton's defence, and we looked really good in the second half.

Good on him.
That's totally bizarre. I was just about to post that almost word for word. Navas stretched out their back four which gave Sterling space to play. And then banging on Fernando for Silva shored us up beautifully. He was bold last night and fortune favours the brave.

It was just me, then?
I was the only one spitting feathers when he took off Delph at half time, ahead of Yaya, Silva (who gave a phenomenal amount of lazy ball away), and (a largely ineffective) Sterling?
Fair play to him. He was proven dead right, in the end.
Shows how much I know.

PS
I'm available for consultation on all sorts of footballing matters... :-)

He takes a lot of flak on here when things go wrong, so it's only fair he gets credit when he gets it right.

Thought his substitutions were very good last night, and won us the game. Taking Toure and Delph off was a brave move, but the introduction of Navas and De Bruyne helped stretch Everton's defence, and we looked really good in the second half.

Good on him.

Yep you've got to give credit where it's due, and he got a lot right last night for me. Hopefully we are going to come good now in the business end of the season

I thought Delph was unlucky to have been subbed personally. Yaya was the man that should have been subbed for Navas's arrival.

Not sure the effect would have been as great, in retrospect. It was 1-1, so Everton weren't yet coaxed into coming out of their shells properly, so Yaya's extra passing ability helped us overload them a few times in that 2nd half. Delph wouldn't have been the same.

I understand where you're coming from though. Yaya's no.6 performance in the 1st half was average at best.

He did the right thing with his subs, but he should never have started Yaya. Hopefully, based on what he did against Norwich in the 3rd round, he won't start him against Villa on Saturday and if we play like we did against Norwich he might get the message that Yaya is best used as an impact sub when the other team are tiring. Doubt it though.

This thread will typically dissolve into those that give credit for Pellegrini's reaction on the night, and those that suggest he should have been proactive and got things right with his starting lineup. At the end of the day, a team that wins one game might not win another so I think credit to Pellegrini for making a big call (particularly for sacrificing Delph as opposed to Yaya) that got us back in the game and more dominant with Navas a threat all game. The De Bruyne sub for Yaya then made us look so much more threatening.

Had we played that team from the start we may have been a bit too attack minded. Credit to the manager and players for fighting back from 1-0 and 3-1 on aggregate.

I only hope Pellegrini addresses the softness in midfield by using Yaya less frequently. I think he's looking more and more done at this level. His best games recently have been from the bench. Use him as we did Lampard last season.

The end result was all that concerned me last night and if that involves a manager making decisions that ultimately get us the result then fair fucks - he deserves any credit coming his way.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.