Penalties - Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

3rdgenerationblue said:
we lost on purpose. definitely.
I disagree. Poor technique lost us the shootout.

IMO Lack of conviction contributed with misses by Sinclair and Milner and lack of intelligence contributed to Micah's joke of a penalty.
You can just imagine him saying " I'm just going to kick it as hard as I can!" Not enough awareness that he has to actually direct it inside the goal as well.

There could be no excuse about physical exhaustion as sometimes applies after 90 minutes plus extra time because all except Kolarov had only played 45 minutes.

I am convinced if we had prepared better we would have won that shootout, (and possibly the one against Liverpool?)

It was always going to be unlikely we would overtake Liverpool to reach the final after losing the head to head. Milan had been atrocious throughout the tournament.

I hope Liverpool go on to beat United I'm still ABU, but I can imagine a draw with the rags winning on penalties. I cant imagine VG neglecting penalty preparation. They scored 5 from 5 against Roma :-(

You're seriously bothered whether Utd win a pre-season friendly?

It's all about preparation at the moment. It matters next week.

So far we have been playing at about 75% of potential as our key defenders and strikers are resting

I think the performances have been good and Jovetic and the Nigerian forward has done particularly well

I suspect Pellegrini will be happy. He'll have additional confirmation that Jovetic is ready.

Plain Speaking said:
3rdgenerationblue said:

IMO Lack of conviction contributed with misses by Sinclair and Milner and lack of intelligence contributed to Micah's joke of a penalty.
You can just imagine him saying " I'm just going to kick it as hard as I can!" Not enough awareness that he has to actually direct it inside the goal as well.

There could be no excuse about physical exhaustion as sometimes applies after 90 minutes plus extra time because all except Kolarov had only played 45 minutes.

I am convinced if we had prepared better we would have won that shootout, (and possibly the one against Liverpool?)

It was always going to be unlikely we would overtake Liverpool to reach the final after losing the head to head. Milan had been atrocious throughout the tournament.

I hope Liverpool go on to beat United I'm still ABU, but I can imagine a draw with the rags winning on penalties. I cant imagine VG neglecting penalty preparation. They scored 5 from 5 against Roma :-(

no way Jose.

you seriously think pellars wants to arrive back on Wednesday morning?

he wanted a good perforce in the tournament which he got mostly. no injuries. good work outs. and who really wants to play a derby 5 days before Wembley.

think about it.

Marvin said:

So far we have been playing at about 75% of potential as our key defenders and strikers are resting

I think the performances have been good and Jovetic and the Nigerian forward has done particularly well

I suspect Pellegrini will be happy. He'll have additional confirmation that Jovetic is ready.
I don't like United to win any trophies.

I'm one of those competitive sports men that want us to try and win whatever we enter.

The tournament has more status than your usual pre-season friendly, it had huge world wide media coverage. There is nothing the fans, (especially Yanks!), love more than a winner.

I agree there were lots of positive aspects from our regular football in all 3 games, particularly with many big names out.

It just frustrates me the casual approach to penalty preparation when it can make all the difference to bringing a new piece of silverware to the club and hopefully many more fans worldwide.

3rdgenerationblue said:
Plain Speaking said:
3rdgenerationblue said:

no way Jose.

you seriously think pellars wants to arrive back on Wednesday morning?

he wanted a good perforce in the tournament which he got mostly. no injuries. good work outs. and who really wants to play a derby 5 days before Wembley.

think about it.
Personally I would rather have won the prestigious "International Champions Cup" than the humble "Community Shield". However there is no reason we could not have won both. Success breeds confidence and a hunger for more silverware.

If the game would have been let's say a champions league game I'm sure we would have done a hell of a lot better. We have some seriously good penalty takers at the club. Remember Milners against Liverpool in the league a couple of years ago, Yaya took loads last season and didn't miss any. Sergio is a great penalty taker. Kolarov takes a good penalty as does Nasari. I think we are going a bit over board, Pellers is happy to get City back home early.

Marvin said:

I agree, apart from the bit about it mattering next week.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.