Penalties - Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

Plain Speaking said:
grim up north said:
Plain Speaking said:
When we are in a tournament that may well be decided by penalties I would have thought practising penalties would be a good idea, perhaps after regular training?
Liverpool seemed more professional in their briefing of Mignolet, (whereas Joe Hart didn't appear to receive any briefing).

Preparation seemed casual. (There were echoes of Bayern away for me, when we didn't know how many goals we needed to qualify.)

How do you know we didn't practice penalties
I didn't say we didn't.

Cibaman said he "wouldn't have bothered practising pens." I disagreed.

Whether we practiced or not, saving none, (Sturridge kicked over the bar), and missing 3 out of 4 penalties kicks does not set a good standard for tournament progression.

Like Jack Nicholson said "the more I practice the luckier I get."

I would suggest most teams practice taking penalties regularly. You miss some shit happens

Plain Speaking said:
grim up north said:
Plain Speaking said:
When we are in a tournament that may well be decided by penalties I would have thought practising penalties would be a good idea, perhaps after regular training?
Liverpool seemed more professional in their briefing of Mignolet, (whereas Joe Hart didn't appear to receive any briefing).

Preparation seemed casual. (There were echoes of Bayern away for me, when we didn't know how many goals we needed to qualify.)

How do you know we didn't practice penalties
I didn't say we didn't.

Cibaman said he "wouldn't have bothered practising pens." I disagreed.

Whether we practiced or not, saving none, (Sturridge kicked over the bar), and missing 3 out of 4 penalties kicks does not set a good standard for tournament progression.

Like Jack Nicholson said "the more I practice the luckier I get."

I want our club to be the gold standard in preparation and application.

Jack Nicholson you say?

Not even close - the famous actor doesnt need much luck learning lines for a film

It was also Gary Player not Jack Nicolas who said the more i practice the luckier i get... other than that you were spot on

If we had a full strength side on the pitch at the end of extra time, who would your first 5 penalty takers be? Mine?
Aguero
Yaya
Dzeko
Nasri
Kolarov

We're in pre-season. The objective is first and foremost to prepare for the new season with emphasis on fitness and team play

Marvin said:
We're in pre-season. The objective is first and foremost to prepare for the new season with emphasis on fitness and team play

Very true. A serious penalty practice session involving all of the players that could be called on to take a penalty would take what, 1-2 hours? There must better ways of using that time at this stage of pre season.

jimharri said:
Bluewonder said:
When was the last time we missed a competitive penalty?
Er....

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EaQBnVPl4M[/video]

Has there been one since? To be honest, it was an abysmal penalty.
"What the fucking 'ell was that!?" hahaha

We probably won't encounter more than 1-2 shootouts over the season. We should be fine, we will figure things out in 5 months on where and how to shoot from 12 yards.

the overall performance during the 90 mins was excellent...well up to when Yaya and Micah Richards came on and Jovetic and Clichy went off to be precise....as for the Pens...it looked like we did'nt really want to progress any further in this competition and face the mighty Rags in MIami?..who should win the league by at least 15 points ..if you listen to the Media. .............i agree when it comes down to the serious side of competitons, we will be different.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.