Penalty Taker

Who should take penalties if Haaland is not on the pitch?

• Total voters
Kev, Aguero or Gundogan. Could not understand why Gundogan did not take it yesterday, too much rotating just because one was missed previously.
His kicking leg might have been troubling him after the foul. What I cannot understand is how professional footballers, defenders to strikers, cannot hit the area of the goal where the goalkeeper hasn't a prayer with mind-numbing regularity. There's more than twenty square yards of goal to aim at and the goalie can only effectively cover about a quarter, and much of that is based on fortuitous guesswork. Mind, what is going on in a player's head as he waits for the whistle is beyond my understanding. I've always favoured the 'howitzer' approach to pens - hit is as hard as yer can and before the goalie has checked his lottery numbers the ball's flown past him.

Kev, Aguero or Gundogan. Could not understand why Gundogan did not take it yesterday, too much rotating just because one was missed previously.
He's missed two of the six he's taken for us. Not sure a 66% success rate from the spot is a particularly good record?

His kicking leg might have been troubling him after the foul. What I cannot understand is how professional footballers, defenders to strikers, cannot hit the area of the goal where the goalkeeper hasn't a prayer with mind-numbing regularity. There's more than twenty square yards of goal to aim at and the goalie can only effectively cover about a quarter, and much of that is based on fortuitous guesswork. Mind, what is going on in a player's head as he waits for the whistle is beyond my understanding. I've always favoured the 'howitzer' approach to pens - hit is as hard as yer can and before the goalie has checked his lottery numbers the ball's flown past him.
A toe poke kicked as hard as possible aimed a yard inside the post. Never failed me.

there should be 4 or 5 nominated that spend time practicing over and over. Lineker and Shearer were talking about it and for sure they practiced seriously hard. Shearer with a goalie, Lineker preferred no goalie so he could just concentrate on where to put the ball. Given our touches in the box and the high chance of penalties each game we should hire yaya and mario as penalty coaches.

Phil,
De Bruyne
Gundogan
Gabby (would improve his general shooting)
Eddie (he is usually on the pitch after all)

there should be 4 or 5 nominated that spend time practicing over and over. Lineker and Shearer were talking about it and for sure they practiced seriously hard. Shearer with a goalie, Lineker preferred no goalie so he could just concentrate on where to put the ball. Given our touches in the box and the high chance of penalties each game we should hire yaya and mario as penalty coaches.

Phil,
De Bruyne
Gundogan
Gabby (would improve his general shooting)
Eddie (he is usually on the pitch after all)
I'd put Bernardo in the mix. He has scored a couple in shootouts and looked pretty assured.

I watched the lad Pukki take one for Norwich yesterday. Beautiful clean strike, knee high, with power, to the keepers left. Keeper went the right way but had virtually no chance of stopping it. I can't for the life of me remember one that we didn't seem to 'scruff' rather than strike cleanly.

He's missed two of the six he's taken for us. Not sure a 66% success rate from the spot is a particularly good record?

That would be a fair argument if he had took 20/30 penalties but its a bit of a stetch with such small base to measure the success rate. Based on your numbers, prior to the miss against Liverpool, he had an 80 percent success rate which could be argued was pretty good.

Wi' a pair of those old boots came over the ankle and had a stout strap 'o leather complete with a bulbous toecap. Yer would have had to have been careful wi' the dubbin. Too much on the toe cap and the ball could have spun out for a throw in!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.