Pep Guardiola - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were to pick an eleven based on Pep’s stereotypical managerial style that he has managed in his career, I think you would pick two teams before anyone in this side would be included (outfield only, Ederson would get in)
Laporte and Dias would look in place. Cancelo would be an option. De Bruyne would have been his star at Bayern so he gets in. Jesus would get in. Bernardo and Foden fit the style.

There might be some other differences, but most of those are specific PL adaptations.

I don't remember too many on here saying it was a rebuilding season before the season started.
I don't think we're rebuilding. But I do think we're biding our time for solidity's sake.
I also don't think people anticipate the levels of fitness issues teams would have.

What position in the table is pragmatic Pep aiming for - 10th ?
Balls deep CL win.
Annual League cup win
FA Cup
Top 4

Get that and I'll be more than happy in a transition season. I'm not greedy though. If this is a reboot season, that's ok. I've seen more than I ever expected to with this club as it is.

I don’t understand why we aren’t playing a back3 with wingbacks. It’s not my favorite formation but we have built maybe the perfect squad for it and it addresses so many of our issues.

Our current setup isn’t pragmatic, it’s imbalanced. Walker is many wonderful things but he’s bad on the ball. Almost all of our attacks originate down the left and our RW has little support and often just recycles possession. Rodri stats center while Gundogan drifts left and we hammer at that side with a fullback in midfield until we give up and switch. It’s boring and repetitive.

With Dias and Ake in the fold we finally have Cb depth. In my view, Walker is a CB at this point with all of his great work for using his strength and recovery pace to chase down balls into channels. Aside from him, we have no good defensive FBs to speak of but we are blessed with players who want to play on the overlap. Cancelo has been great the last few weeks on the left but he’s naturally right footed and I think would be an asset when given more freedom to attack on the right. Mendy’s only remaining asset is his left foot and we’d be more assured relieving him of defensive duties and letting him try to get into advanced positions to provide width. Pep could continue to play 2 of Gundogan, Rodri, Fernandinho in deeper positions as he seems to prefer.

But then we could start to look at an attacking diamond with KDB or Foden behind both of Aguero and Jesus. Mahrez could play there too. Sterling and Torres could be options to play wide in a 3-4-3 as well if we put KDB deeper.

Basically right now we are forcing a bunch of square pegs in round holes to get a group of wingers on the pitch who aren’t good enough to create the offense. Like many, I’d love to see us get out of this inverted winger nonsense and just run out old 4-3-3 back out but even then I’m not sure we have the winger depth anymore to make that system deadly. I think our best 4 attackers are KDB, Foden, Aguero, and either Jesus or Sterling (if Sterling isn’t on the LW where everyone knows to just show him inside). I don’t see how we are going to be successful if we continue to hope the wingers are able to create attacks when they’ve been showing for a while that they just aren’t that lethal or creative.

A lot will be discussed about results, performances, goals, player selection, formations etc over the next few months, and no doubt Pep will come under plenty of scrutiny, but one thing I think we are all missing with the pragmatism currently being shown, is how much Pep has learnt about the Premier league. The parallels between this season and his first are quite stark, we are rebuilding, Pep is rebuilding this team, just like he did in that first season, it won’t all go to plan but it is shaping up a lot better than that first year, we’d of lost this game in that campaign. Win our game in hand & we are on the periphery, progress was achieved in the league cup and CL qualification for the next round is one win away. We’ve sorted our defence and I fancy us to go on and sign a midfielder & forward eventually, does this mean he’s gonna sign an extension? Possibly, but more importantly the foundations are being laid now for another cycle, it’s not easy to challenge on all fronts whilst making major surgery to the starting eleven but we are making a good fist of it, I for one will not be losing patience with the club or management in this transition period, it might get a bit turgid, we might have to settle for one nils, the football may not be so free flowing and our top players may struggle for form, but we will rise again, this club has shown this time & time again over the last decade, new heroes will rise and we will win titles....so let’s not act like the entitled ones in Stretford
It’s a good post, but I don’t think players consistently giving the ball away game after game is part of his plan.

There are a few players in our squad who are shit more often than not.

I don’t think it’s particularly a plan, I just think that’s how games are panning out because some of our players turn up and just constantly lose the ball and lose all of our flow. This makes us have to defend better, slow down, be more pragmatic and keep the ball more negatively further back because these players keep messing up all of our attacking play.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t understand why we aren’t playing a back3 with wingbacks. It’s not my favorite formation but we have built maybe the perfect squad for it and it addresses so many of our issues.

Our current setup isn’t pragmatic, it’s imbalanced. Walker is many wonderful things but he’s bad on the ball. Almost all of our attacks originate down the left and our RW has little support and often just recycles possession. Rodri stats center while Gundogan drifts left and we hammer at that side with a fullback in midfield until we give up and switch. It’s boring and repetitive.

With Dias and Ake in the fold we finally have Cb depth. In my view, Walker is a CB at this point with all of his great work for using his strength and recovery pace to chase down balls into channels. Aside from him, we have no good defensive FBs to speak of but we are blessed with players who want to play on the overlap. Cancelo has been great the last few weeks on the left but he’s naturally right footed and I think would be an asset when given more freedom to attack on the right. Mendy’s only remaining asset is his left foot and we’d be more assured relieving him of defensive duties and letting him try to get into advanced positions to provide width. Pep could continue to play 2 of Gundogan, Rodri, Fernandinho in deeper positions as he seems to prefer.

But then we could start to look at an attacking diamond with KDB or Foden behind both of Aguero and Jesus. Mahrez could play there too. Sterling and Torres could be options to play wide in a 3-4-3 as well if we put KDB deeper.

Basically right now we are forcing a bunch of square pegs in round holes to get a group of wingers on the pitch who aren’t good enough to create the offense. Like many, I’d love to see us get out of this inverted winger nonsense and just run out old 4-3-3 back out but even then I’m not sure we have the winger depth anymore to make that system deadly. I think our best 4 attackers are KDB, Foden, Aguero, and either Jesus or Sterling (if Sterling isn’t on the LW where everyone knows to just show him inside). I don’t see how we are going to be successful if we continue to hope the wingers are able to create attacks when they’ve been showing for a while that they just aren’t that lethal or creative.
We should have kept Angelino if we wanted a LWB mate, I've given up on Mendy.

I do wonder why we’ve seen to of gone away from always having two attacking midfielders starting. The Silva/Sane and De Bruyne/Sterling gave us so much width and link up play we just cut through teams with ease. We’re so much more slow and more predictable in the last 18 month

We should have kept Angelino if we wanted a LWB mate, I've given up on Mendy.

Agree on both counts. He’d be an even better option but for some reason Pep doesn’t seem to rate him.

Honestly if Pep walks I think we should look hard at their manager. He could put that system in no problem and maybe bring Angelino back

Pragmatism or has his bottle gone in the big games? He was ‘pragmatic’ against Lyon and look at how that shitshow turned out. Liverpool were there for the taking second half yet he left it way too late to bring on Bernardo and Foden

Pragmatism or has his bottle gone in the big games? He was ‘pragmatic’ against Lyon and look at how that shitshow turned out. Liverpool were there for the taking second half yet he left it way too late to bring on Bernardo and Foden
During the Lyon game as poor as we were, it wasn't until Pep got brave that Lyon started countering us regularly and scored twice in fairly quick succession.

Pragmatist Pep? I agree to a certain extent. I don’t agree with the double pivot nor do I agree with him holding back foden. This season is going to see us empty handed. He is still not giving Bernie or foden a proper run out instead he is playing it “pragmatic” with gundo.

Pep has lost his spark this year. I am sure there are many reasons including Covid, family death and his mentality/stamina to stay at city for 5 years. Throw in a squad rebuild and Cas for good measure.

The whole team look mentally exhausted. In my opinion we need to cut Pep and the players a lot of slack this year. Tired minds will lead to bad mistakes and bad decisions

We can have a moan/laugh and discuss tactics, formations and personal but I know regardless of the results we will not turn our backs on Pep or the players when things are tough. Transitioning from one team to another was always going be hard. Buckle up for a bumpy season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.