Pep Guardiola - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for this. our fanbase is making me so angry at times, there's a lot of things going on, it's not just black or white. We just drew with Liverpool not with Fulham.

It does seem we are focusing on UCL this year and Pep seems to be planning for it, especially the later stage.
Glad he’s planning for that already whilst in a group the EDS would have a chance of progressing from. Hopefully his plan is to pick his best team in the knockout games. Fair fucks if he manages to win it now given how he messed up so many years on the bounce when he had great sides.

2 new players in the starting line-up, one in the finishing line up.

It can't be the same transition excuse every single season, when a player leaves whose replacement was supposed to be signed 3 years before he left, or another player leaves who hardly played due to injury.

The league is there for the taking, the squad is good enough although striking options chose not to be addressed.

It is like when Keegan struggled so went defensive and got some good away nil nils, but struggled to score more than one goal a game. Although the board had stopped spending so Keegan had to cut his cloth, were as JG is still getting big money signings on tap, yet they are worse than the players they are supposed to be replacing.

Outstanding post mate. No doubt you will be labelled a happy clapper by some.

Ederson/Stefan best goalkeeping duo in the world probably. Years of service ahead for them
Walker/cancelo/couto - 1 defensive, 1 attacking, 1 understudy. Walker coming into his end of career but is very solid and doesn't look to be tiring.
Dias/stones/thb - 1 world class, 1 very good rotation, 1 high potential understudy.
Laporte/ake/mbete - 1 world class, 1 just below world class, 1 high potential understudy.
1st teamer needed, mendy - we need to buy a left back or 2 nothing great I've seen coming through yet either.
Rodri/gundogan/Tommy doyle - 1 very good player still learning, Tommy might suit this position or maybe higher up. I'd like to see a more mobile backup for Rodriguez though.
Kdb/foden/mcatee - 1 best mid in the world, 1 extremely talented prospect, 1 next phil foden.
Bernado/palmer/nmecha - not sure whether we need to buy an aouar type player here, bernadotte is great but we aren't controlling games as well.
Sterling/braff - 1 world class, 1 great potential.
Mahrez/torres - mahrez isn't for me. Torres is untaped potential.
Kun/jesus/delay - the perfect blend.

Yes its a work in progress, yes we need at least 1 lb, a cdm, an am and a winger but the building blocks are in place. We were always going to struggle losing yaya, zaba, kompany, silva (kun & ferna dwindling) and to a lesser extent hart, Barry, nico, delph, etc. Yes, some are replaceable talent wise but these were characters/big personalities. Until dias arrived we have a nice, polite, good guys squad. Not a general amongst them, yes you can lead by example on the pitch but you need a motivator. Watching doyle and thb in the final shouting at lads out of position, passionately cheering every great tackle or oppo missed pass, personally is what we have missed. Dias can be that leader, that guy who's calm when needed and a bastard when it gets gritty.

Anyway, I believe this next version pep is building which will include city fans will be the best to date. Will he see it complete, maybe, maybe not, but the nucleus is there.

Outstanding post mate. No doubt you will be labelled a happy clapper by some.

Ederson/Stefan best goalkeeping duo in the world probably. Years of service ahead for them
Walker/cancelo/couto - 1 defensive, 1 attacking, 1 understudy. Walker coming into his end of career but is very solid and doesn't look to be tiring.
Dias/stones/thb - 1 world class, 1 very good rotation, 1 high potential understudy.
Laporte/ake/mbete - 1 world class, 1 just below world class, 1 high potential understudy.
1st teamer needed, mendy - we need to buy a left back or 2 nothing great I've seen coming through yet either.
Rodri/gundogan/Tommy doyle - 1 very good player still learning, Tommy might suit this position or maybe higher up. I'd like to see a more mobile backup for Rodriguez though.
Kdb/foden/mcatee - 1 best mid in the world, 1 extremely talented prospect, 1 next phil foden.
Bernado/palmer/nmecha - not sure whether we need to buy an aouar type player here, bernadotte is great but we aren't controlling games as well.
Sterling/braff - 1 world class, 1 great potential.
Mahrez/torres - mahrez isn't for me. Torres is untaped potential.
Kun/jesus/delay - the perfect blend.

Yes its a work in progress, yes we need at least 1 lb, a cdm, an am and a winger but the building blocks are in place. We were always going to struggle losing yaya, zaba, kompany, silva (kun & ferna dwindling) and to a lesser extent hart, Barry, nico, delph, etc. Yes, some are replaceable talent wise but these were characters/big personalities. Until dias arrived we have a nice, polite, good guys squad. Not a general amongst them, yes you can lead by example on the pitch but you need a motivator. Watching doyle and thb in the final shouting at lads out of position, passionately cheering every great tackle or oppo missed pass, personally is what we have missed. Dias can be that leader, that guy who's calm when needed and a bastard when it gets gritty.

Anyway, I believe this next version pep is building which will include city fans will be the best to date. Will he see it complete, maybe, maybe not, but the nucleus is there.

Just needs to get that contract signed, or we are handing off to a new manager who is signed up to the blueprint. Hopefully the former.

We’re 8 points behind already with barely any games played.
I feel like you've misinterpreted my post. The 1st 2 games are obviously not reflective of our current form and I acknowledge the difference between us and Liverpool 18/19 comes in an inability to grind out winners.

I don’t mind pragmatism to preserve energy when we’re 2-0 up but we’re starting every game “pragmatic” and not looking threatening if we go behind.
We’ve dropped points in 4 of 7 games this season. It doesn’t matter how it gets spun, that’s not the form of a team who looks like winning the league.
I’m not massively concerned at this stage but we need to put a run together of 5/6 wins to claw back up the table starting at spurs

Call it what you like, the results and more importantly the fabulous attacking football, are gone for now, replaced by inferior football. Yes we are rebuilding but the transition seems clunky as hell. We have issues in midfield, anyone can see that, both defensive and offensive. And still no Foden today. Our most creative, inventive, energetic midfielder this season not one minute on the pitch in a game at home against the current champions that we could have won. Can those that suggest they understand our evolution please explain that.

Call it what you like, the results and more importantly the fabulous attacking football, are gone for now, replaced by inferior football. Yes we are rebuilding but the transition seems clunky as hell. We have issues in midfield, anyone can see that, both defensive and offensive. And still no Foden today. Our most creative, inventive, energetic midfielder this season not one minute on the pitch in a game at home against the current champions that we could have won. Can those that suggest they understand our evolution please explain that.
I could understand it given Liverpool’s line up and the first 30 mins but after 65/70 mins we were crying out for his energy and invention

Worth remembering that at the start of the season we were pressing well and creating chances before gassing out after 30 minutes. Which caused us all sorts of problems. Almost like Liverpool experienced today.

I think this play style is driven more by fitness than personnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.