Pep Guardiola - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really find it hard to comprehend his reticence to use subs, given he was one of the keenest advocates for 5 subs. Parficularly this afternoon, when several players could easily have been hooked. And we had Mahrez, Phillips and Alvarez on the bench.

Really find it hard to comprehend his reticence to use subs, given he was one of the keenest advocates for 5 subs. Parficularly this afternoon, when several players could easily have been hooked. And we had Mahrez, Phillips and Alvarez on the bench.
Would've tried Foden <-> Alvarez myself. Still, we came from 2 goals down today, could easily have been worse.

Not just subs Jim. I think the tactics played right into the barcodes hands

This system was great against West Ham and Bournemouth, cause both teams played defensive football and didn't press a lot..

When teams defend and give you the ball - it's a big bonus to have Gundo and KDB on the pitch, cause they are very dangerous near the opponent's box and that's why we played good games..

Plus we had Grealish who helped us a lot during build-ups..

Today Newcastle didn't give us the ball, they wanted the ball and pressed a lot and we need player like Bernardo near our box to help Rodri and others during build-ups.. There were moments when Ruben had to dribble to somehow take ball to KDB and Gundo, they didn't drop back and even when they dropped made a lot of mistakes.. There were two similar moments after 3-3 when both Gundo and KDB made same mistakes near our box..

And we were lucky it was Newcastle...

Also we have seen this plenty of times.. Rodri-KDB-Gundo midfield has never worked as a long-term solution.. Like I said above, if teams voluntarily are handling us the ball and just defend - it's OK, but there are and will be a lot of teams, who will play aggressively like Newcastle played today and we will suffer..

Defense is the team play.. If zones aren't covered and there spaces left and balls are lost during simple situations - no defender, even world-class ones won't help..

was hoping the villa game might break peps nonsense about subs given how effective they were on that day but normal service has resumed lol. Will only make subs if we get a comfortable lead it seems

I don't mind Pep not making subs. He's done it plenty of times over the years when we've been getting battered so I pretty much expected it.

But that was not the game to have either fullback coming inside. Newcastle were always going to have more energy and muscle there than us there regardless and it made us vulnerable on the break.

Not just subs Jim. I think the tactics played right into the barcodes hands

Exactly they weren't even that good they just had Saint-Maximin unmarked all game who did the rest. Pep completely ignored that and continued to have Walker play in midfield even when given multiple warning signs and then conceding 3 goals from that side. It was awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.